Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Front end griding noise 94 F150 4x4

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  freighthammer5 
#1 ·
So I went and looked at a decent 94 F150 4x4 yesterday for $1,000 bucks, and everything was good until I took it for a test drive. Every time I would turn the wheel you'd hear a cracking / grinding sound coming from the front end, especially if I put it in 4x4. I could see anything wrong when I looked around the front end. Nothing was rubbing or anything and the springs look fine. Any ideas??? Would bad front end U joints cause this?

#3 ·
At a stop. The guy claims he doesn't know anything about this truck which kinda makes me nervous. He said all he knows is that a guy brought this truck to a shop to get repaired, they fixed it, and then he never paid so they took the truck, then sold it to this guy that is selling it now. Only other issue it might have is the clutch doesn't seem to engage until the pedal is almost all way up and doesn't seem stiff at all. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

#4 ·
In that case you should prolly have a friend help and turn the wheel while you are checking things out. If it's that loud you shouldn't have a hard time pinpointing the noise.
I would be looking at all the steering components, and not as likely now that it does it at a stop but also the axle U-joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.