Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My Yj; 6.0 V8, 700R4, D44, D60, H1's, 37's and OBA

117K views 451 replies 65 participants last post by  jeepfreak81 
#1 · (Edited)
Current Picture, Look through thread for buildup:

6.0 updates start here

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=665&page=13

Stats and info: (cut and pasted from another site i have the info posted on)

Vehicle year: 1994 (base vehicle),1991,1998,1985, 1984, 1975, 2001 :D

Year purchased: 1999

Engine and engine mods: 2001 Chevy lq4 6.0 77k miles [strike]355 Chevrolet, Mild cam Edelbrock intake and carb, De-emissioned, dual Exaust, [/strike]

Drivetrain and drivetrain mods: Built 700r4 with manual overrides, Np231C

Axles, gearing, and mods: HP D44 front USA Alloy shafts, Spicer joints Spartan Locker/D60 rear Ford limited Slip, 4.88 gears

Tires & wheels: H1 Double Bead Locks, 37x12.5 Cut BFG Baja (for now), [strike]37x12.5 Goodyear Surplus tires[/strike]

Lift and other suspension mods: BDS 2" SOA suspension and Shocks, removed Swaybar and Trackbars, modified teraflex traction bar

Exterior mods: Custom Rear bumper built by Nick_sg and I, Front bumper built by me with winch mount and TX2 12,000lb 2 speed winch, Foglamps, rock rails with side step, functional ram air scoops for venting excess heat.

Recovery and safety equipment: Koz Sport Cage, 12,000lb TX2 winch, 8klb Warn rear winch, Hi-lift jack, Strap, Tree saver, and a fire extinguisher, assortment of tools and a rag

Skid plating: Stock Skid's for now

Other mods: YORK OBA, (currently disabled)

Best modification: V8 and the 4 wheel discs and tranny by Killer "b"

Worst modification: Rear Tube bumper, bent too easy, the hitch flexes under load, feels like it would come off-- oh wait it did

Primary trails or events: Mounds, Big Rapids, and Silver lake, have done some Whitehall and would like to hit Grayling and Mio (nothing around my house other then my field), did west branch and St. Helen as well

Club/Organization affiliations: GLFWDA, web-boards and friends

Very near future mods: Tons

and here is my just completed install of the New improved 355. .030 over, mild cam

and yes I know I need to replace my gooseneck gasket... i see it belched anti freeze on the intake it wasnt leaking 3 days ago... but i never changed that seal when the engine was apart as i didnt take off the gooseneck

See less See more
#106 ·
Well we made a tempoarary drag link so I can move i around the yard, and have a trail spare, the angles look ok and it should work fine.

Made a new rear driveshaft from a shortened F250 front driveshaft, should be heavy duty enough right?

Filled it with 4-5 oz of ATF to balance it

Welded up the hole

Adam put on my E350 Master cylinder to power the brakes of the 3/4 ton axles.

Went to just go around the block because the drag link is of not safe for road materials, wanted to test the 4.88 gears, and see if the driveshaft had vibes.

Got almost to my house and figured I would get on it and see what the V8, 4.88's and 37's can do, compare it to my old 350, 4.10's and 33's ya know?

Well.... yeah this is where is stopped.

Lets look a little closer

Drove back to the house on the front driveshaft, parked it, got out, and went in the house.

Anyone want to buy a almost done V8 YJ? I am >< that close to torching the thing. Nothing in this "easy" build is going smoothly. If you look close, it was the FACTORY welds that gave way, not Adams.

#114 ·
Go out to finish welding in the floor of the YJ and find this.... I haven't even driven the fucking thing. So much for taking it to Unlimited this week to have a drag link made for it and driving it to the Blessing :stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3::stan3:

#121 ·
To mount the front Axle under your jeep did you have to move the spring perches inboard or move the leafs outboard? Reason I ask is the springs are 30.5" wide center to center and the front axle perches are 31.5" wide. At least that is what I'm measuring on mine jeep and my Dana60 that I'm going to be putting under it. So how did you make yours fit?

#135 ·
hey you dont happen to have a list of all the stuff you need to put the f250 axles under your jeep do you? like what you used for steering and whatnot?
No list, because SOA was part of the process. The steering uses high steer arms and tie rods.

I had to install an SYE, custom drive shaft, move the perches on the rear D60 and longer shocks etc...

#137 ·
Nice build :thumb:

Bummer on the cracked tranny case. I looked at the pictures but didn't see one of the tranny torque converter cover installed. Did you use the aluminum cover for a 4x4 with the steel support rods that go to the motor mounts? Also, iirc, the 4x4 700r4s have a stronger case with a K cast into the right side bellhousing. Was the case that broke a K case?

Another thing to check for is if the front driveshaft is bottoming and trying to rip the trans off the motor.
(some GMs have a rod going from a bellhousing bolt to the front driveshaft side of the tcase to help with the driveshaft thrust loads.)

#138 ·
It wasn't the front shaft, it was extended out from it's original position as the SOA stretched it out a little. It was a 4x4 700R4, and the cover was not installed, however I had wheeled it like that for awhile, and street driven it over 30k miles that way. I think what may have happened is when installing the SYE the jack sagged and put too much stress on the bellhousing when I left it for a couple days. I think It may have developed a hairline crack, then when I got on the gas hard twisting the driveshaft off the jarring and resulting failure destroyed the rest of the case. I never have looked to see if it was a K case or not.

Basically I think it was my own dumb fault for trusting my jack.

#139 ·
You may want to check with an trans expert like Tranny Tom to see what year cases were the strongest. K case:

Is your torque converter cover thin sheet metal or something heavy? Here are pictures of how GM mounted the 700r4s on the last of the straight axle trucks, is your cover similar?

Its hard to picture a slowly bleeding down jack gently loading the tranny case causing much of a problem, but who knows. Probably a good idea to run with the cover on though.

#141 ·
i have a turbo 350 in mine never had a torque converter cover, or the torque bars, i beat on it pretty good and never cracked the housing (its been in there over 7 years,and 13 trips to the badlands and counting) did you have a rubber trans mount? i seen a guy hard mount his to the cross member and watched the trans housing shatter first time out.

#145 ·
one other idea, you might want to check and see if you have a bad motor mount if the motor is torquing over more than it should when you mash it ,that could do it as well.
just an idea, your probably right, about the jack sagging, thats a lot of weight hanging off the back of the trans.

#147 · (Edited)
Motor mounts are good :thumb:

Na, cleaned her off. Besides yours has been apart longer. And I work on mine once in a great while :thumb:

I am going to start charging interest on that axle you still haven't touched :poke:

Mclovin get a fucking life loser, some people have more important things to spend time on like a family :rolleyes:

The YJ has been down 2.5 years, and I work 45-65 hours a week in the summer. I just don't have time right now, or the extra cash for that matter especially since my wife is going for her masters now. Do you think I enjoy looking at it sitting there? I'm not going to skip bills to fix a jeep that isn't a DD though.

If you need the axle from under the flatty, I'll pull it into the portable garage and cut the old one out, or you can pick up yours. I just have not had time to do it, and have not really wanted to yet because EVERY swap we have done on either jeep has gone way over budget and time, I have not been driving it anyway because I have not even had time to pull the oil pan and fix it in 2 months.

BTW do you need a jeep 231 case too or just the 231C internals? :teehee: I know I have some 231C cases. I have not found the jeep ones though as I have not been to my dads.

#150 · (Edited)
Front axle and Transmission were dropped off at Allpro Automotive in Lansing tonight. I have heard nothing but good about Ken, and he supports the sport. http://www.apalansing.com/

Once they are back, some reassembly and look for a rear drive shaft and I should be able to go for a spin :woot:

Edit: How sad is it that I just went back and looked at the dates. It was exactly a year ago to the day that that transmission and axle were pulled to take to Allpro and I just did it...

At this rate I will get my seats back in and driveshaft mounted by the rumored apocalypse in 2012.... :rolleyes:

#151 ·
The 231c HD is the one your refering to and has the same 6 pinion planetary that many after market cases use plus an 1.25" chain over the 1.0" chain found in 231j's and some light duty 231's if it's an hd it will say right on the tag on the back of the transfercase.