Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Chinese side by side

5K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
Im consideing a HiSun 400cc efi Side by Side, for some trail riding and to plow the driveway. Anyone have one, know anything about them?

#3 · (Edited)
A quick google search shows prices around $5,700. Couldn't you pick up a used Side by side that is a name brand for that price? If so I think that is the way I would go.

I know a few people who have bought those cheap chinese dirtbikes/quads etc.. they always seem to have problems and can never find parts.

Edit:

Maybe something like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...Motors_UTVs&hash=item4abdc3f9d7#ht_500wt_1182

#8 ·
#19 ·
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=426192894&ImageIndex=9

Look at picture #10 and the way that they run the wiring, its cheap things like that (taking shortcuts) that make me want to stay away from the cheap machines.

I would rather spend the $5000 for a used Yamaha than $6000 on this machine that MIGHT be good. At least with the Yamaha I know the machine will last.

#21 · (Edited)
Y'all make me laugh!!!

Those who are complaining about the Chinese models, have you ever owned or worked on one? Serious question. I'm gonna say no, and your just swinging your e-nads.

I can buy any part for my boys rig on line and have it in two days. Is the product less quality? Maybe. However, I've owned Honda, Yamaha and currently a Kawasaki quad.

Lets run some price for grins and giggles. Shock on the redcat 39.99 full adjustable, rebuildable, but why bother for 39.99. Shock on my 80cc Kawasaki, $700.00 rebuildable only by a "professional" $200 for kit, another $150 for labor.

Chain and sprocket, opps, ........same manufacturer :teehee: whether Japanese or Chinese Brand, but 50% less bought through on-line store.

Fuel pump Chinese $14.99, Kawasaki $265, except the Kawasaki has gone out twice and the Chinese is still working. :teehee:

Original purchase price; I bought used for both. $300 for the Chinese, $1000 for the Kawasaki. (okay a little bit a difference in resale, but not major in my book)

Currently, with busy life schedule and cost to repair,............yup the chinese rig is currently drivable, and the yamaha .........well its still waiting for a fuel pump.

OH, lets not leave Honda out of this........a "foreman" just left my garage with two brand new CVC joints. Yeah that was fun, and costly.

Everything, is made with "just enough" quality to make the sale. If I were to buy the so called "Name Brands" ..........we wouldn't be able to do as many things, and the trip my boy and I took to the Badlands would never have happened. Sometimes you buy a little less to do a little more with what really counts. Spending time with family and friends.

.......let me add one thing though, if you are going above and beyond normal operation of said vehicle, then yeah maybe one of the name brands are more suited for you.

#25 ·
What the hell do you do to your machines!? We have 3 yamahas and we never have any problems with them. Put good gas in, fresh oil, clean the filters, change the spark plugs and they run forever. Hell we still have my brothers 50cc three-wheeler in the shed and it starts first pull everytime and its over 30 years old!!

#38 ·
Two of my freinds own powersport/small engine shops.Tony sold over 300 chineese scooters in the first year in bussiness.I cant count how many of theese pieces of shit I have worked on,I promise it's more then you unless you work at the factory.

Some parts are available online,but rarely do we have success getting the part we need.If it does showup it is usually broken allready,or it fails just like the original in a matter of hours.It's a never ending circle untill people wise up and scrap the pos.

Your comparison on parts price is laughable.You keep buying junk and bragging about how good it is,and I will keep laughing.
Quality stuff usually doesnt need many repair parts,It sounds like you must either buy some real used up junk,or dont maintain it properly.
The oe shocks on my 1971 honda 70 still work perfect as does EVERY THING on the bike.
I could go on and on,because I actually earned a living working on quads for several years and still moonlight for both shops.Every one is allowed an opinion,but I think yours is whack.

#22 ·
When I buy anything (landscaping equipment, power sports, tools, etc) I don't even consider a brand unless there is a local dealer. Sure you can order parts online but most decent dealers have common replacement parts stocked (or can quickly get them) and can service the equipment if needed. Resale is also much higher for these reasons.

#24 ·
my experience selling the off brand stuff you get what you pay for.i sold a shit ton of the eton quads.they were no honda but they were 3 grand less. if i was looking at a side x side..dont think i would spend that much on a off brand.just pick up a used older mule or rhyno.

#34 ·
A buddy bought 2 Chinese quads against my advise. Neither one has ever worked right, and has been a nightmare to find parts for them. I spent 2 weeks trying to get them running right so he could give them to his kids for Christmas, I finally got one going (80cc) and it didn't have enough guts to get me around the yard in 2" of snow.

#41 ·
Honestly, I have had no major problems as I posted before. I am pretty handy with the tools, and I was able to teach my son at the age of 7 how to work on/build his own rig with little investment. He has been able to ride for the last 5 years because of no major investments in something that he would have out grown in that amount of time.

It worked for us. That is all.
I have documented proof, just look at the earlier posts and his build thread. Sorry if you don't believe me. I can't help that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.