Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Aaaaah Crappppp!!! Can i buy my truck back from insurace after claim?

10K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  mudbuster 
#1 · (Edited)
Got into accident today, its most likely totalled, full coverage through allstate.

Shoud I pull off my good parts before the adjuster comes, will that lower the value of the claim?
also does anyone know if after ive been paid for the jeep from the insurance company do they let me have the option to buy it for the price the junkyard will pay?

The main things i want to keep are the brand new softtop, tires and wheels, rear bumper and some other misc items, but all the large items i have the stock items to replace them with.

See less See more
#22 ·
You were texting. While you were texting you were 2000ft from the vehicle while travelling 73 mph.
At roughly 1000feet you set your phone on the passenger seat and reached 74mph.
While looking up to give full attention to the road in front of you, you are now less than 500feet from slamming on your brakes and crashing into the car in front of you.

You were distracted. Happens to novice drivers :teehee:

#28 ·
The insurance totaled mine a few years back, Aftermarket parts don't mean shit to the adjuster. I bought mine back, fixed it and am still driving it today.
this. new parts dont mean anything either. my sister totaled a vehicle I had with a brand new trans, transfer case, tires, alternator, and battery. I was told all they take into account is the driveablility of the vehicle plus its "value" at the time of the accident.

I would pull much of your aftermarket stuff off. aside from the wheels and tires. unless you have some cheap replacements you dont care for losing.

#29 ·
I did a buy back on a CJ that was totaled while parked in my yard. It has been a couple years now but at tha time I asked the insurance lady that was on the phone with me trying to figure out what it was worth if I could buy it back. We settled on a price that she would give me for the Jeep. Than called the people that they sell them to got a price from them and that's what I bought it back for. It was not a deal in my opinion but I put the jeep together for myself and it had some valuable parts in it. Personally I would leave anything on the Jeep that makes it look nice. I agree they will just give you going perice but going price for a rusted piece of shit is going to be less then a nice looking Jeep. I would expect to pay close to 20% of what ever they give you for the jeep just to buy it back. Might even go as high as 25%

#31 ·
Pull the stuff off it you want but replace it with stuff you don't.

You have possession of the vehicle (it's in your yard, not some lot) and likely doesn't have a lien on it so you can drag this out for weeks until they cave to your demands (as long as they're reasonable). They don't want this crap sitting on the books and likely it impacts someone's bonus to have things like this lingering. It's all negotiable.

#32 ·
Last winter I hit a deer and "totalled" my car. The car only worth about 3000 by nada and kbb books and 2000 by comparables on Craigslist.

When they called to settle they said the car was worth 3900. I asked how much to buy it. She said 300 and 100 for deductible.

So State Farm cut me a check for 3400 and change. I kept the car with a clean title. Brought it to work and pulled the frame back to spec. Had about 400 in parts and materials and sold the car for 2500.

I would buy it back. Aftermarket tj sheet metal is stupid cheap.

#45 ·
After looking over pictures I have proof that there middle vehicle driver lied to the cop about what happend!!!

This shall be interesting in court.

I tried telling the cop what happend but he didn't want to listen at all to my end because I was the third vehicle back. He literally put his hand up and walked away to his air conditioned car.

He's forshure getting a complaint put in towards him!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.