Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Lets See Your Tow Rig

391K views 1K replies 419 participants last post by  SHARPMACHINE 
#1 · (Edited)

2001 Super Duty 7.3 My DD and Toy Hauler 135,000 mi.

See less See more
#1,073 ·
I talked with Mike at Mikes Diesel performance in Chelsea....he said the tune he would suggest will add 30-40 hp, be completely tow safe, and trans safe....he says any more and i need to tune/upgrade the trans.

#1,080 · (Edited)
Maybe. ;) depends on what toys I've added on. And I can tell you that in low traction situations I can out pull my GPAs 13 f350... I would be interested in hooking chains on asphalt and seeing what happened.

And to be honest it depends. I get 10 to 12 pulling a load. 14 is best cruising unloaded. What do stock mid 2000 model diesels get? My grandpas 13' gets 14-17 all stock him driving it like a 78 year old man. He gets 14 pulling. So I get a few less miles but have nothing compared to the overhead costs... his truck does pull very nice though!

For right now its mostly stock. But kicking around a SC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#1,087 ·
Starting mid 09 cummins started using a new boot loader on it's ECM that makes it so it can not be flashed with anything other than stock tuning. I don't fully understand but there is a bunch of info on EFI lives forum.

#1,094 ·
I wanted a mega cab but dound a deal on the quad cab. The mega cabs are bad ass....having that much room in the rear seat area and still having a bed is sweet. My buddy has one and from the few times i have driven it, it doesn't feel any bigger than my quad cab from the drivers seat when it comes to maneuverability or vision.

One thing i will say is it seems like it is sprung lighter in the rear for whatever reason than othe configurations.

#1,095 ·
Yeah I kind of need the additional interior room I have two kids and my daughter has a very good chance of being around 6' tall by the time she is done (she is already 5'4" at 12 years old) I also have two dogs so the room will come in handy.

I am open to both 3/4 ton and 1 ton so I'm sure the rear is heavier sprung on the 1 ton. Don't really need the 1 ton but if the right deal comes along I will jump on one.

Finally pulled the Jeep with a diesel this past weekend and now I know for sure that is the route I want to go.