Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

22 Pachanga (now 201 liberator see 2nd page)

16K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I have wanted one since I was a kid and I found one in Akron for a decent price. The only unfortunate thing is that I can not find a whole lot of info on them. I know about all the options, sizes, years they were produced and so on, but I don't know if they have common issues or not, key things to look for so to speak on this particular model. Anyone out there a pachanga gooroo? I have always been an avid boater but I haven't had a boat in 2-3 years and this came up and caught my interest.

Take a look at the add and tell me what you think...

The add is WRONG!!! The boat is an 86 not a 96 and its a 22 not a 20 (they never made a 20ft pachanga).

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1996-SEA-RAY-Pachanga-2-93772540

#51 ·
Good, I think the bellows need to be replaced because she took on a bit of water from our trip, but other than that good. We put in at Selfridge and went to Algonac and back, we also took a ride up near New Baltimore and we only used 11 gallons of fuel, I though that was pretty good.

Only thing that bothered me was that the OMC brochure that I found buried in the boat states that the normal operating range for this motor is 4600-5000rpm, but I could only get it to top out at 4400rpm and 56mph. After we got back in, I noticed that the prop is not the original. I think they came with a viper from the factory and this one said SST. I have a feeling that the size and pitch must be different than the original. I am debating purchasing a stock prop, or at least a prop with the stock size and pitch.

Here are a few pics. She needs a wax but I will wheel it myself in the spring.

Attachments

#52 ·
she does look pretty clean. and the numbers for your RPM sound about right from the brochure... are the numbers still on the prop? IIRC ou should get around 58-60mph stock.. at least when they were new thats what we got out of them... sucks about the bellows, they should be new if the outdrive was just repelaced.. maybe they dry rotted? was the drive stored in the up position?

#53 ·
she does look pretty clean. and the numbers for your RPM sound about right from the brochure... are the numbers still on the prop? IIRC ou should get around 58-60mph stock.. at least when they were new thats what we got out of them... sucks about the bellows, they should be new if the outdrive was just replaced.. maybe they dry rotted? was the drive stored in the up position?
From what I understand, the drive was stored in the up position.

The numbers on the prop are still there, and I can't remember what they are right now. I want to say 14 3/4 X 17 or 19. I know the stock prop is 14 1/2 X 19. (I think)

Any recommendations for another prop? I would sacrifice a little top end to have great hole shot and cruising...

#60 ·
I know that was the case years ago, but who knows now a days. I figured I would ask as a refresher. I know I have read that ethanol is bad for boats, especially older ones....

#61 ·
unless required I wouldnt spend the extra cheese on premium, I'd just go with midgrade and call it good.

As for labbed props, you "MAY" se good results in upping your cruise speed by 2-3 mph or your top speed by 2-3 mph. But you have a "somewhat" fast heavier boat. IMO labbing a prop to gain a couple mph is a waste unless you really are looking for that last 2-3 mph for bragging rights, or your running a drag boat in the 1/4 or 1/8 miles.

Labbing can also shorten the life span of the prop because it thins the blades.

on a boat like yours think 3 blade for top speed and a good 4 blade for cruising and 2-3 mph slower top speed.

Try a Bravo 1 4 blade.

As for getting better fuel mileage...find your optimum rpm and stay there...no WOT and dont carry un-necessary weight, keep boat, drive clean, and work OT

#62 ·
Midgrade it is...

What do you mean "somewhat" fast? LOL, j/k....

I don't really care if I were to loose 2mph up top if everything else were to improve. The boat should run 58-60 from what I am told, so that is fast enough for me.

No OT here, I am salary.

#66 ·
I don't know why but I laughed my f*ckin ass off at that. :sonicjay::sonicjay::sonicjay:

At the moment the outdrive and I have nothing more to say to each other. Maybe when it gets pulled again in the spring it will be more talkative...

#70 ·
From what the mechanic says, the gears are real nice inside and there was no water in the oil. So hopefully like I said earlier, it takes all summer to plan its attack. :sonicjay:

Side note: I have read that the cone clutch king cobra is stronger than a bravo 1, or just as strong anyway. Any truth to this?

#73 ·
my buddy has a 201 liberator while/yellow/blue with a 350chevy and KC OMC drive, no problems so far with the drive. he is just mad cause its not as fast as my checkmate! hehe. if your out on st. clair this summer look for it along with a white/teal checkmate!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.