Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

6.4 powerstroke any good?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  14muddn 
#1 ·
It probably won't be until summer before I seriously start looking for a newer truck and when that time comes I'll probably just buy the best deal I can find, but I have seen some '08 6.4s in the sub $25k price range which sparked my interest. I want to know the good, bad, and ugly.

-I'm guessing but with the TT, doing a dpf delete and tune they could make some impressive power?
-Are they reliable?
-Is it gay to have stairs come out of your tailgate?
-Is it worth dropping more $$ for a 6.7?
-Should I just keep dumping a bunch of money into my 200k 00' 7.3?

#3 ·
This is probably 75% of the reason I'm considering a newer truck. Between the long hours plowing, driving to job sites, and personal use I'm in the cab a lot. Right now it's noisy as shit and I'd like more cab space than the extended cab. I've been dealing with it but the rust starting is pushing my decision.

#4 ·
My boss has a 6.7 personal truck. He does not beat it seriously speaking and its been in the shop every 2 weeks since i started working for him. It shut down on him drivn down the road. Said pull over when safe he touched brakes to slow down and bang truck shut down. 2 times its done this. Imo thats not safe and really just dumb.

#8 ·
O he was havn issues with the trans shifting at weird times, took it in and they said nothing wrong with it, they flashed the comp and thats when the fuel pump started screamin, it sounded like my fass on my dodge. Took it in 4 times sayn it was not right, everytime they claimed it was ok.

#11 ·
I have 2 of them, both 2008s with 150k or more miles on them. Both F350XL 4 door longbeds, I purchased both brand new. Both have been in and out of the shop since new, mileage has been horrible from day one. 12-14 at best, even lower when towing. Find a low mileage 09-10 and delete it the day you buy it. Everyone says it's a totally diffrent motor deleted.

#14 ·
hey idiot. i had a rear plow on that weighs as much as your mother, i got a crew cab, and you fuckin took off boosted in 4x4 when i was in 2wd, oh and i had the traction control on. give me a time and place even if its in the soo and i will make a point of handing your soot covered ass to you fair and square.

:sonicjay: that was fun.....cant wait to "test" again :woot:

#19 ·
Hmm I appreciate the info. Right now I'm thinking I'll either find a crew cab 7.3 from the south (rust free and no need to take out a loan) or if I'm going to be taking out a loan buy new. With the incentives I have found for the new trucks it's not a ton more than what they are going for a couple years old and the $500 payment sounds real nice every time I'm wrenching on my truck.

Anyone interested in a '00 7.3 ZF6 with 200k and about 2k worth of parts put in in the past few months?:teehee:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.