Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Who uses Bumpers for Air tanks ?

5K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  Sveen 
#1 ·
Ive been thinkin about this (not that i'll need it any time soon) But ive seen people seal their bumpers air tight to use them for air tanks for an OBA system, Could this be used on rollCages and Frame rails as welll ? ive heard stories of using them on frame rails but it's extremly hard to get them 100% Sealed ! obviously u'd wana put some releif valve on the cage so if it gets compressed from an impact the valve will just blow off instead of the tubing welds busting..

#4 ·
noodles said:
yeah, sealing it up is a bitch... thats all i have to say
Not really u just gota know how to weld :stan: Besided i already told u smear some JB weld over all those little pin holes and paint it. it'll be fine..

#5 ·
Make sure anything you use as a fitting, weld a nut, or other bung to it.

I have seen one that just drilled and tapped the steel, and it was always leaking.

I'd maybe find a piece of steel black pipe to weld to it then it has the threads to go to a fitting..

#6 ·
****** said:
i've got both bumpers sealed for tanks, but have yet to turn them into oba
do you have a picture of them? I have ideas for a new one, thats in the works... what did you use for the steel? any idea on the air capicity( sp)?

actualy, mg, i could you use your help measuring if your not doing anything latter.

#7 ·
noodles said:
do you have a picture of them? I have ideas for a new one, thats in the works... what did you use for the steel? any idea on the air capicity( sp)?

actualy, mg, i could you use your help measuring if your not doing anything latter.
Depends on when we get back from wheelin give me a call..

What i really want out of this thres is if anyone has seen/heard of anyone using rollcage or frame rails for tanks ?

#10 ·
I've seen lots of bumpers converted. A little less cages done, but still quite a few. Frame rails, I'm still not sure I'd bother with them, too much flex unless you beefed the hell out of them, and they have lots and lots of holes.

Welding for strength (or just keeing 2 pieces of metal together with a smooth, even, consistent bead) is different than welding for pressure (or so I'm told). If just laying a decent bead down and it's good and sealed was all you had to do, few should have any problems with it - with any application. I've heard alot of stories of welds not holding pressure, even from (so called) professional welders (was a really high pressure application). But I'm not saying it can't be done with patience. I suppose if you were good at welding it wouldn't be a problem for a small air tank like a bumper.

Bumpers and Roll cage are ok, I still would recommend not bothering with the frame rails. If you want the extra air, just get a secondary, smaller air tank and mount that.

#11 ·
Muddinguy said:
obviously u'd wana put some releif valve on the cage so if it gets compressed from an impact the valve will just blow off instead of the tubing welds busting..
huh? Air compresses quite nicely, infact, that is the whole purpose of OBA...

#52 ·
Actualy 337CI is account for wall thickness consuming space and it becoming not a true 2x5x50 So it's not worth the hassle.

I did that to my rear bumper when I built it. But when I put air in it, it leaked out of a lot of tiny pinholes in the welds. I tried welding them up and sanding them down but new one were created. Finaly after doing the math on the bumper capacity i realzied it's wasn't going to be much at all and this wasn't worth my time :miff:

#17 ·
monkeyevil said:
mostly because it's a PITA to dunk your bumper in a tank of water and check for leaks.
I call BS......mine had pinhole leaks....BFD

I never had to worry about draining it when I was done with a ride :stan:

I only turned the compressor on when I needed it anyway. I had less than 2 gal capacity but it still made me able to seat a bead which is harder to do without a tank IMO

#19 ·
MuddyPaws said:

And be done with it.

That seems like it would just run out. even if you kept it filled, if you had to use it a bunch, once it's gone, it's gone. and then you have to get it refilled.

A compressor seems like a more permanent modification, with very little investment afterwards.

#21 ·
Like fr3d said, if you have a little pin hole, so what. Compressor and a tank, even if it is only 2 or 3 gallons will run an impact, or fill a tire faster than just a compressor, or any range of other air tools. Plus, if it does not leak, you can hook up air horns, use it for ARB air lockers, etc. If it does have a little hole, only run the compressor when you need air.

As for all the comments about it being hard to seal a bumper, no, its not. Maybe I am a better welder than 99% of you, but I have never found it very difficult to seal up a bumper. Fr3d did his with a 110v Flux core mig welder, a few other guys I know have done it with arc (stick) welders. I have a Milermatic 210, run .035 wire and use 25/75 argon/co2 mix and have no problems sealing up stuff. Just my .02

#24 ·
KaiserJeep said:
As for all the comments about it being hard to seal a bumper, no, its not. Maybe I am a better welder than 99% of you, but I have never found it very difficult to seal up a bumper. Fr3d did his with a 110v Flux core mig welder, a few other guys I know have done it with arc (stick) welders. I have a Milermatic 210, run .035 wire and use 25/75 argon/co2 mix and have no problems sealing up stuff. Just my .02
Do you finish grind your non structual welds? That is mostly the issue. Weld, grind, test, weld, grind test....

Only to have a pin hole show up later on.... I want a tank to keep a reserve so I don't have to have the compressor running ALL The time...

#25 ·
MuddyPaws said:

And be done with it.
and about 300 bux poorer <(is that even a word?)
I like the idea of running a compressor better if i could get one of those tanks for free Im there !! but i dont see paying the money they cost.. id rather have a unlimited source of air with me..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.