Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

rig haulin question

5K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  sodapop 
#1 ·
whats the best way and safest to fasten a rig to a trailer? let me know ur set ups thanks

#36 ·
what do you guys think about the strap rubbing the tire? If I go straight back from the rear. the only points the straps will fit will cause it to rub the rear tire. I'm not worried about the tires, just the extra stress it might cause to the strap.

#43 ·
Enough to change the angle slightly. I think I'm going to be wheeling at Rocks and Valleys this weekend so I try again and post back at some point. Last weekend, I ran the fronts straight out (well slight outward pulls) and the rears had to be crisscrossed. Next, I'd like to get a set of straps like these, so they have a more positive attachment to the axle straps.

These types of hooks:

#39 ·
wrong. the problem with chains is they twist. when going down the road they will work them selves loose and actually loosen up. when ever i use chains when ever i get to my point at least one of 4 four chains are loose. tieing off to the frame is a bad idea. the suspension will compress but not far enough for a big jolt to knock the strap off the frame or drop a link out of the binder.

as many others have said i use 4 straps around the axles straight back to the sides

#42 ·
wrong. the problem with chains is they twist. when going down the road they will work them selves loose and actually loosen up. when ever i use chains when ever i get to my point at least one of 4 four chains are loose. tieing off to the frame is a bad idea. the suspension will compress but not far enough for a big jolt to knock the strap off the frame or drop a link out of the binder.

as many others have said i use 4 straps around the axles straight back to the sides

you sure about that?

#40 ·
a tire doesnt travel nearly as far as a trail rigs suspension, or even a street vehicles suspension, not to mention the fact that, regardless of the air presure in the tire, it is already at its lowest point due to the weight of the machine or vehicle that its on, where as a suspension system is somewhere near the middle of its total travel..again, trying to compress the suspension is almost impossible, and if you did get it fully compressed, it would be hard on the parts to leave it that way for an extended period of time....and your statement that straps always loosen up is just plain wrong.

boggin machine, you should always make sure chains are straight before loading them, that twist puts alot of extra strain on the links and can easily cause them to break...I'd bet that is one of the biggest reasons for chain failures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.