Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Post your sled

8K views 72 replies 29 participants last post by  Silver93XJ 
#1 ·
got the sled ready for winter last time i was home and was interested in what you guy's are running this winter. this is mine

1995 polaris xlt 600sp sks
2'' paddle track
slp pipes
slp heads
and a newer rebuild

See less See more
#52 ·
so im assuming all the long track sled guy go out west to ride?

i see very little use for a track that long in michigan.
a 121" or 136" with a decent paddle is plenty in most of michigan usually.

dont get me wrong they are sweet sleds, and make mine look like junk.

how often is a track over 136" really needed in michigan

#53 ·
Depends on how you ride, and where you ride. The short tracks will have much better top speed....ie my RMK will only do about 92mph, where the same sled in a short track would do about 110mph or so. I have had 121s-163s, and they all have there pros and cons. I got my 163 stuck several times last year in the UP, but we were in some backwoods, deep pow. A 136 with a 1.75 track will do 90% of the things a 163 can do in the UP. My only problem with the 136 Back country X I had was it was a coupled suspension which is good on trail but terrible off trail. Not untill 2012 did skidoo make an uncoupled 136 skid on there sleds. The new 136 would be a sick sled for MI riding. Ever since I have went to longer tracks I cant stand riding a short track, even on trail. I feel so unstable, and so little of traction with short tracks. On straight up ice a short track with studs would dominate, but for the trails were on, they are typically not that way.

#58 ·
I have never been out of michigan and I loved my long track sleds.
Here I am on my polaris 144 in the lower between wolverine and Indian River. You just have to find the snow or go off trail sometimes. There are places all over that you can ride them in Michigan that a 121 might have a hard time doing what a long track could do with ease but then they are like riding a bus in the trails sometimes compared to a short track

#54 ·
yea my new sled is uncoupled. it is a wheelie monster.:sonicjay:

i have been in many places in the up and even around were i live were i wished i had a long track. we get in some strait up nasty spots sometimes. come on snow!!

#57 ·
Here's my '98 VMAX. Extended it to 136", put a set of Camoplast All-Terrain Skis on it, and have a different primary clutch ready to go on it. Still need to make new guards for the rear hoses, new snow flap, and some snaps for the seat. The rear shock inexplicably leaked all it's oil onto the garage floor this week so I'll need change that out next weekend and I'll be ready to go.

Maybe next year I'll upgrade to something a bit newer with a few more ponies. Last winter was my first season on a sled and I quickly found my little 600 triple to be underpowered when chasing a doo 800 and a Nytro:sonicjay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.