Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

22RE problems

10K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  Baookamn 
#1 ·
i have a 22RE an when i start it up it runs good but when i start reving it up to about 2000 rmp it starts running like crap it wants to die but if i jest keep reving it up it will clear up about 3500 4000 rpm i replaced the throdale position sencer in it an it seamed to help out a little bit but not much any ideas anyone:confused::confused:

#39 ·
Any inline 6 (except Toyota) is the best for off road so why bother with anything else. Get a Jeep or Chevy.... seriously.[/QUOTE]

Weren't Toyota inline 6's pretty much a copy of the old chevy I6's?

Go look at the rest of the 3rd world outside of detroit and see what people who depend on 4wd are using.

#40 · (Edited)
The 1JZ-GTE was a somewhat copy of the Chevy inline 6. A very good and strong copy. The stock bottom end in those turbo Supras are quite capable of handling 1000 hp without being touched.

Yea, they are junk just like the 22RE. Those horrible 22REs I have seen (the same engine) suck water in it 3 different times, get drained, fire up and keep going. One of mine had 146k with the wrist pin rattle but still ran strong. The other had 246k on it when I sold it. It woud probably still be running today if the new owner hadn't of rolled it. Junk I tell you. Junk . . . .

#44 ·
i agree things get wear. duh 22re are GREAT motors id trust life with one in front of me : ) not super power but ok power, thats all i need.
toyotas rock its to bad michigan had such a bad taste of these trucks, only bad taste was the shitty government road crew spraying salt all over the roads.
salt belt sucks anyway you cut it.

#45 · (Edited)
I just bought the one on here with 51k miles on it, been sitting for about 10 years they said. put a battery in it and gas and it started right up.. then changed the fuel pump a fuel line and flushed the tank. I think I need a new tank, andsending unit,have to find one, probably going to do the plugs cap/rotor too, it runs good but idles low like 500 rpms. shouldn't it idle about 850rpm? it's a 1994 22r, might be re have to look. Anything else I should check .. oh ya changed the oil first thing forgot to say that. Can't find the fuel filter though, where is it at?

#49 ·
I had a 22re do this to me and it was because there was an air leak after the MAF.... which meant it was sucking unmetered air into the throttle body.... the MAF directed the ECU to only give the fuel it thought it needed.

What happened was the intake pipe somehow landed on the power steering pulley and burnt a hole in it. once i fixed the leak it ran mint.

Try holding the flap inside the MAF wide open and manually pull on the throttle... if it runs mint you have an unmetered air problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.