Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

'71 Bronco Build

19K views 128 replies 50 participants last post by  Offroadian 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been building this for about 8 months now. Taking my time and hoping it will be ready to drive again this summer. I drove it one summer and decide it was time to make it respectable.
40,000 original miles EFI 302, 3 speed, 35" MTR's, hydroboost brakes.

See less See more
#114 · (Edited)
Motivation comes from strange places.

My mom died last Thursday from cancer so I have had a few days off work. Spent most of it with family and yesterday after my relationship with my girlfriend went south I had to do something.

So I started working on the Bronco, pulled out the trans and transfer case to swap in the 4r70w that I have had for a few years.

Also debating on putting the motor from the same donor as the trans, a '99 mountaineer.

Need to find out if the flywheel from the new motor will work on the old and if the dampner needs to swapped out as well.

The old stuff out

The new stuff almost ready to go in

#117 ·
Just got back in from the garage to do a compression test on the motor in the bronco and the 99 mountaineer motor.

They both tested out pretty good so now I need to decide if I want to do a motor swap along with the trans swap.

I should get a little more power from the newer motor, but there is already a decent one in place.

The results from the compression test are

99 Mountaineer motor

160 psi on the high side and 135psi on the low side with 4 cranks.
180psi on the high side and 155psi on the low side with about 8 cranks.

Engine in Bronco

155psi high side and 130 low side with 4 cranks
175 high side and 155 low side with about 8 cranks.

#124 ·
The trans and transfer case are in, waiting for a crossmember and need to make a mount for the 205. Have an issue with the long tube headers, either need to bend the passenger side header to try and get it off the bellhousing and frame rail or get a different set and possibly shorties.

Plenty of room on the drivers side.

#125 ·
She fired up last night. Kinda loud without the exhaust being hooked up but I was too excited to wait.

Waiting to hear back from Poly about the 205 yokes I ordered, the dimensions are a little off and the machined part goes past the seal before they bottom out.

Be out driving it soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.