Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

F'n Rod Bearings?? Drill out ports??

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Yotabalt 
#1 ·
Ok I've had 1 22r and 2 22re's apart now to find bad rod bearings on all of them! WTF? There has to be a root problem here... I noticed there is an oiling port at the base of the rods. When I stuck a drill bit into the hole frome the bearing side I discovered that it necks down right at the end of the port. Can anybody give me a good reason not to drill that out all the way through to maybe help keep those lubed? :confused:

#2 ·
How many miles were on the engines? Could be the bearings are just worn out or possibly wiped out from antifreeze in the oil. I'm not sure but weren't the RE's discontinued in the mid 90's and the last 22R motor was probably built in the late 80's. These engines are known for there durability. I would think the engineers designed the lube system to supply the right amount of oil to the bearing. If you drill them out you could starve something else

#8 ·
Everytime somebody asked a question about that motor your punkass says they are all junk, that is a lie. Like I asked him how many miles were on his motors. What do you think would happen to the rod bearings after you run the cam particles thru them?
Who adjusted the valve lash to caude the camm to wear down?
This is supposed to be a tech forum not a place for dickstand to rant about his experiace with one motor. If you have nothing useful to add why do you even bother to post asshole? I've had several without issue. Back in the late 80's early 90's I used to buy rangers S10's with bad motors and swap in motors to resell them. Ford 2.0 motors in rangers lasted about 50k before the needed rings. 2.5l S10's went about 80 or 90k before the heads were cracked and needed replacement. I never found a Toyota that needed a new 22RE. While 125 on yours may not be a lot for a Toyota sure beats most of the 80's 4 cyl trucks I've seen. So you keeping flapping your gums and if people are dumb enough to listen thats their problem asswipe.

#11 ·
It sounds like you have a sore pussy? You're boyfriend forget to use some l;ube last time?

Funny, he's got two motors with bad rod bearings, I also had one. But, since you're so fucking awesome, maybe our motors don't exist and we shouldn't have had those experiences?

I had an S-10 with well over 100k miles, you must be lying about your s-10's because clearly since mine was trouble free they all must have been.

I hate when my ford only lasts 50k miles.

You're an ignorant fuck. I mean honestly you are. I know you prefer asians because they have smaller penis's making it easier for you to gobble up their shower soldiers and fullfill your ***** ass tendencies, and maybe that's why your pissed that since someone was discussing his frustration with his toyota and the worn out rod bearings I also commented (you know since I had the EXACT same problem with my little motor), but regardless of that you're doing the same hypocritical thing you are complaining I am doing because you had oodles and oodles of shitty fords and s10's you used to buy to make money off because you are so fucking awesome. I mean, you really are awesome (in a fucktard kind of way)

I mean, the 22re is awesome, for most people, but it wasn't for me, or the OP, or a handful of other people that I encountered while rebuilding mine....but then again, no body is as awesome as you, I don't even know you and I know this is true.

#13 ·
agreed. Mine was a gutless wonder with terrible durability compared to the awesomeness everyone else experienced.

I'm sure if you never went over 3,000 rpm and changed the oil ever week it would be fine.

My room mate in college had a 4 runner with the 3.0 (an engine i recall being told to avoid) with well over 200,000 miles on it. It had no more power then my 22re, but it ran forever.

#15 ·
2.5 iron duke? I've had a few with 170k untouched. Pretty stout motors. I'm a ford guy but I have to admit those 80's 2.3 weren't known for lasting, between my dad and my uncle they've had a dozen and @ 140-150k they'd be piston slapping mofos.

#17 ·
My toyota has a 3.0, it has 255,000 miles on it, I know the last 2 owners beat the living hell out of it...like with no mercy (they thought Toyota's can hold 6500 Rpms forever) and it still runs and could wheel with it, but as everyone else has been complaining about, the rod bearings are toast...but if it took 255,000 to kill this old bitch, I would have to say they are a good truck, not too hard to work on and are actually fun to drive...

I had a 97 ranger that i whooped to death, at 118,000 I pulled the running motor amd trans out, and swapped in a stang 3.8L(yeah it was no better than the 2.3)
Then I swapped in a Chevy 350, and and whooped that till, you guessed it, the rod bearings went on that too lol....I think it's just the luck of the draw...(live by the birthdate on the tag, Friday and Monday are terrible build days haha)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.