Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

The poor mans toy hauler

16K views 85 replies 41 participants last post by  Mclovin 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, after one winter season running the buggy, I couldn't believe how much rust there was on everything… mainly caused by towing it on an open trailer through salt covered roads, so I decided to get an enclosed.

I ended up with a 24 foot haulmark 10,000 capacity. The trailer empty weighs 4400 lbs, leaving me 5600 lbs to play with, which should be plenty. I got a great deal on it since the passenger side was lightly dragged along a telephone pole or something. It doesn't look brand new, but for $2500 I couldn't complain. It doesn't leak at all, and pulls great(other than weighing waaaaay too much empty).

The plan is to rip out the front cabinets that are in it, and finish the front with a bed, TV, tool chest, part chest, radio, maybe a mini-fridge and a storage area for an air compressor, welder, etc. It already has 110V running through it and 5 halogen lights, but I'm going to change a lot of that around too, plus add some 12V lighting and 2 aux batteries.

stay tuned, the build will start next week!

See less See more
#40 ·
Be sure to strap the AV equipment down.......EVERYTHING Moves in a trailer in tow....but I'm sure you know that. (paper towels unroll even, and glasses open up clipped cabinets in ours on the road)

A nice rig. broom was good advice, our travel trailer gets dirty FAST. The roll-out awnings are really nice to have like mentioned above.

.....and kristen, it isn't camping in anything above a pop-up.

#46 ·
They also make a screen room for the rear of these trailers. I have learned after owning 4 of these that it is very important to stuff some fiberglass in the ceiling and cover it with paneling. If not you will get to much heat from the sun and on chilly mornings it will rain inside!

And if you need any E-track or floor mount D-rings or other trailer parts dont forget to call me. The E-track is great for attaching shit to the walls! I have one the fold up Lifetime 8' picnic table on the wall inside mine, it's nice to have when you dont have a place to sit and scarf down some camp chow.

Pat

#47 ·
I have learned after owning 4 of these that it is very important to stuff some fiberglass in the ceiling and cover it with paneling. If not you will get to much heat from the sun and on chilly mornings it will rain inside!
Even with a vent or 2 open? I don't have much room on the ceiling, hmmm....

And if you need any E-track or floor mount D-rings or other trailer parts dont forget to call me. The E-track is great for attaching shit to the walls! I have one the fold up Lifetime 8' picnic table on the wall inside mine, it's nice to have when you dont have a place to sit and scarf down some camp chow.

Pat
Are you going to be around the weekend of the 11th? I wouldn't mind swinging through and checking out your setup...

#49 · (Edited)
paint is done

it is all KILZ latex... sides are just white, bottom is some gray/sand color (for future reference the color is Martha Stewart, Pasture Gate MS175 from Lowes, I'm sure I'll need touch up paint at some point). I added sand into the paint (per Chevotass suggestion) and it's great... it's like the floor is sand paper. Should wok great when they get wet...

I'll get better pics in the light once the crap is all back in it.

#51 ·
floor has 2 coats... it will be good enough for now. The wood is so ripped up it just drinks the paint like nothing. It looks a lot better in natural light though... the halogens creat weird shadows/colors.

#54 ·
Well, most good flatbed open haulers will run you 1500-2000, even used. Right now I have about $2800 into this, so it is defently a budget build

Looking better and better.

How much sand did you add to how much paint??
there was no set mixture unfortuantly... and that caused a little tint difference everytime i mixed more paint. I doubt it will be noticeable at all once the floor starts getting used... but basically about 4 cups per gallon or so... make sure to keep mixing the container as you paint, or the sand will settle at the bottom (that was my problem, which I learned too late).

#56 ·
#59 · (Edited)
12V lighting is in and wired to be charged via the tow rig. Lighting isn't as impressive as the 110V, but it cost me $12 at Harbor freight and crap I already had in the garage.

Surround sound is in, already watched 4 Locked 4 Lo out there while working :rock:

#62 ·
the front light on the bulkhead is a universal TSC fog light

the rear 2 lights are Harbor Freight driving lights. Once I get back up to Alpena I'll pick up a few more of the TSC lights, they work great.

#65 · (Edited)
I'm going to hold off on a generator for a while for a few reasons. Generally most of the places I'm camping has 110V hookup, I don't like the sound of generators and I really can't afford one right now.

The trailer is pretty much done, minus adding a microwave that I'm getting this weekend and stocking the shelves with crap. So I went back to work on the buggy. I finally wired in the o2 sensers, it was simple once I put my mind to it. Finished wiring the winch, mounted the american flag on the back (old one disapeared?) and moved the headlights deeped under the hood.

and now the intercooler instal on the OBS

Heres pictures, because I can...

#67 ·
details on your intercooler setup. BtW, the generator is (or was super-cheap). I don't like generators either, however, if you buy another battery and run an inverter, you'll have silent 110V and will be able to recharge the batteries in about an hour.

#74 ·
details on your intercooler setup.
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=86888

Will the batteries power a micro? The micro in my TT makes my Honda EU3000i gen run at full throttle.
But that shouldn't matter if he camps at a camground all the time where he will have power.
I don't even have a power inverter for the 12V system. It is meant only to run a few lights and maybe a few vent fans. I would say 80% of my camping will have 110V hookup. The 12V lights are meant just for random use. I have a charger (trickle, 10A, 55A) to use to charge the 12V system while I'm at a campground with 110V.

#68 ·
He has the batterie's charging via the tow rig-as long as he has a decent batter-and he isn't rocking that microwave and TV for a long time he should have plenty of power for a weekend trip.

Its easy enough to just charge w/ the ford when needed (or spend 50 bucks at HF and get some solar panels to supplement)

#76 ·
$2800 ish into the trailer

still needs $200 in roof vents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.