Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

89 yj - 396 bb

20K views 160 replies 26 participants last post by  FORD FLARESIDE 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, its kind of a build thread, although the previous owner did a lot of work to get it where it is. (sneak peak earlier in my Bronco build thread) I have the pleasure of owning it now, and getting to tweak it to my suit.

I'll show pictures, and give descriptions as I get time to add parts and change the appearance.

#7 ·
I picked up an unmolested windshield frame for this over the weekend. The glass is cracked but the frame and hardware are in near perfect condition.
Who would y'all recommend to put new glass in this frame for me (somewhere near Grand Rapids) after I finish repainting it. (Price and quality is a factor for me)

#9 ·
Well.........some of you may have seen from other posts...........the YJ is a little sick right now. I lost two lobes on the camshaft. Improper oil maintenance is my best guess. With the camshaft and lifters that are in this 396, I was supposed to be using a special ZINC based oil. In fact I was just recently told that I should have been running the Zinc based oil, as well as an additive.

So Lesson learned to the tune of about $300 to $500 and a weekend of pulling the motor, dissasembly, re-assembly and installation.:(

This is not what I had planned for the next few weeks before the Blessing of the Jeeps. I just hope to get it back together in time to make the trip.

#16 ·
I think while my engine is out, I'm going to take some time and modify the Headmen headers. The front tubes on both sides are in the way of the spark plugs. Time to do a little cutting and welding, then some blasting and painting.

#20 ·
Damage report - Cam, lifters, push-rod tubes, timing chain and sprockets, and gasket set.

Looks like about $400 worth of parts damage.

On the brighter side of things, the engine should have about 50% more power then it had before.

#23 ·
Parts are being ordered today.

I'm :bdr2: about putting it back together, but still :( about the money going into it. I have way too much invested in this rig, not to do it right. So I have to come up with the money somehow.

#35 · (Edited)
Parts are being ordered today.

I'm :bdr2: about putting it back together, but still :( about the money going into it. I have way too much invested in this rig, not to do it right. So I have to come up with the money somehow.

Cam & lifters, push rod tubes, timing chain & sprockets, intake gaskets, timing cover gaskets, and the oil pan gasket have been ordered and on there way to the tune of $375. The exhaust manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets will have to wait until next week.

Update,..............shipped on status has been emailed. Hoped to get a visit from the little brown truck today.

#26 · (Edited)
Nothing with the CAM itself, except that it is a standard tappet style. Apparanently they need Zinc and Phosphorus for lubrication. The oil I was running did not have it in it, nor do most shelf oils now, because governmental regulations.............or so I'm being told.

I'll take more pictures this week, since the engine is out, I'm going to do a little more modifications.

4:88 gears in GM corporate axles, built by DnR driveline.
Driveshafts were also built by DnR.

#29 ·
The break in procedure also has allot to do with the lifespan of the cam.

I'm sure you know that, but do you know if it was broken in correctly?

I purchased it, with less then 100 miles on it. It still doesn't have 500 miles on it. The P.O. said he had put the break in additive in the motor, but I do not know what kind/brand was put in it.

#33 ·

Yeah,.............Well,.................that will have to be an alternative/option for the next owner. :teehee:

I don't have the money/nor time to do that right now. I have two kids in ice hockey, and one of them is on a Travel team. Maybe in a few years, if I still have it. I'm in the position that I would trade today for a decent EB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.