Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Any helicopter pilots on here?

2K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  skife 
#1 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I used to drop water on fires from a bambi bucket suspended from a CH47.
That was fun.

Spent a season on Helitack with H525 out of independence.

Eurocopter has all sorts of cool animal names for their birds, ours was a Eurocopter "Squirrel".

As far as driving, no. But after chasing fires with helicopters, just as a passenger in the bus, most other jobs suck.

#12 ·
Good bird but can be touchy. They have a directly controled rotor which means low inertia rotor= no power assist. The controls are a bit sensitive. The o-320 engines are pretty bulletproof but as any aircraft they get spendy to fix. Also with any rotorcraft ther are a few time limited parts that may be perfect but are timed out of service either by calendar time or service hours.

Rent some time in one before you buy. Cool if you can swing it.

#28 · (Edited)
I have my commercial pilot's license for airplanes, single and multi-engine, but no experience in helicopters. I did go to school with a kid that flew helicopters.

As you prob saw in the ad, that heli only has 245 hrs left on the airframe before overhaul, which is why it is so cheap. The Robinson heli's have a low airframe time before they need to be overhauled, which is probably about the current price of the heli.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.