Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Towing - question on appropriate tie downs

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  XXXJ 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if these tie downs that I found on Ebay are appropriate for tying down my 4000 lb truck to a trailer. It says the working load limit is 2000 lbs for each assembly, but I don't understand this well enough to know if having 4 straps equals a total working load limit of 8000 lbs. Let me know your thoughts or if you have other recommendations. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-AU...021QQitemZ310043625331QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

#11 ·
If 2 on each axle was enough to haul that beast, it'll be enough for my truck. I don't see any downside to the d-ring being part of the strap. I'll probably just pick these up.

#8 ·
My only issue with those Mike is they don't come with axle straps like the Ebay ones. I plan to tie it down via the axle, truck is a little too long I think to tie to the bumpers...the straps would be virtually straight up and down, not much angle from trailer attach point to bumper, doesn't seem it would be too safe that way.

Thanks for the replies guys!

#7 ·
I'm wondering if these tie downs that I found on Ebay are appropriate for tying down my 4000 lb truck to a trailer. It says the working load limit is 2000 lbs for each assembly, but I don't understand this well enough to know if having 4 straps equals a total working load limit of 8000 lbs. Let me know your thoughts or if you have other recommendations. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-AU...021QQitemZ310043625331QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I don't know if I like the floating "D" ring for the axle. I have never seen that.
I use separate axle straps.

#10 ·
Do you mean that the body moved around alot or the whole Jeep? I can see the body bouncing around, but not the whole thing moving on the trailer.

#15 ·
i always tie to axles, never body...

as for those straps, i have a similar set of straps with the floating d ring, they work, but occasionally will loosen up, i stop and check them every once in a while

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.