Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Camera Purchase - Which one?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bow_Extreme 
#1 ·
I need to purchase a new digital camera and I've read the forums here, forums on other web sites, and reviews across the board. I just can't decide what I should get. I started out just wanting a point and shoot, but a good one. I ended up at the DSC-T700 Sony, but at 400.00, it seems a bit steep for a point and shoot but small and handy. On the other hand, I really like the reviews on here and other forums of purchasing a Nikon D40 or Nikon D80 or D90 Series camera. The D40 is only a 6.0 megapixel camera but has a rather fast shutter speed and seems to take very clear pictures. I looked at the D60 but it seems it's not much better than the D40, just 4 more megapixels. So what should I do? I'm really leaning on the DSLR Nikon cameras, just not sure which camera is more appropiate for me to purchase. It will be used for everything from watching my girls grow up to vacations, school events, weddings, what ever else is needed. I will be vacationing around the US over the next several years as well. Sorry for the long haul here but I figured you guys would want more info.

#2 ·
go talk face-to-face with a couple of camera stores 9not a big box store) and assess your NEEDS vs your DESIRES. from my in store conversations it seems constant that if you don't plan enlargements greater than 8x11.5 then 3.0megapixels is enough. also think 2x about the digital slr's with interchangable lenses. that means you'll be packin more crap in the bag you carry around so it's all at your fingertips when you need it. the one thing that's really difficult to get my arms around is comparing, for example, a 10x optical zoom point and shoot capability with say, a 30~150mm zoom lense on an slr. then it gets really technical. however, another common thread is that the lense quality on the slr is superior to the point and shoot. again, i think that goes back to how often and to what size you want to enlarge your pix.

#3 ·
Packing more crap is one thing I'm a bit worried about but I also want quality, not necessarily megapixels, but a great photo with great detail and presentation. I suppose I'm really starting to lean now towards the D40 over everything else. It gets you quality and a small package at a reasonable price. I was just pricing the D90 with 2 lenses at a cost of around 2 grand. That's alot of money for the non-professional to pay for a camera. Although the D60 is the same price as the D40 right now with 2 VR lenses. I suppose I could get one or the other.

#8 ·
If you're really set on a high megapixel camera, the D40X has the same sensor as the D60. Unless you really need the features of the D90, its probably more than you want to spend, having never used a dSLR. Check Crutchfield.com also, its where i got my D40, and it was the cheapest around and they have awesome customer service. The D80 is a nice middle of the road dSLR with a good sensor, and options to mount older lenses that dont have focus motors in them.

#10 ·
Look at the Canon SX10IS and S5IS models. They are "high end" point and shoots and do pretty well for about $340.

You can get a refurb S5IS from Canon for $219. It's an 8mp 12x zoom model with all the manual settings.

The SX10IS is a 10mp with 20x zoom. It reatails for $340 on Amazon.

I have the SX10IS model and while I'm still learning with it, I really like it so far. I fully understand it will not be SLR type photos, but for what I do with them it does a pretty damn good job. If I do my part it has enough quality for 8x10 or smaller prints.

I did a lot of research in the high end P&S market before buying, and couldn't be happier with this camera.

An SLR is in my future, but like you said, I don't have the $1000-$2k to drop on one yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.