Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Diesel's not running right. Questions?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Mclovin 
#1 ·
So on the way home from flint yesterday the our 94 chevy starts acting up and dies on us. We manage to get it started again and moving but it wasn't running smooth. After we got home in the driveway it seemed to start idling fine. It was then pulled in the garage so we could let it warm up and take a look at it.

Now we can't get it started. So i think we may have got some crap in the lines/injectors since we ran it about empty and have never really let it get below a quarter tank since we bout it. maybe gelled fuel?

Anyways this is our first diesel so i'm just looking for some pointers and tips on where to start looking

Kyle

#4 · (Edited)
If you have a filter drain, check it for water by draining it into a glass jar and let it set to separate. If not or find water, get a new filter and pre fill it with 50/50 diesel medic/fuel. If it didn't throw codes or a check engine light, PMD failure is a very common problem on the 6.5 TD. If it's the PMD get a new one that is over Serial # 700,000 as they are the updated design. Good luck.

Edit: Good time to install a remote PMD cooler if that's it. I might have a test PMD around somewhere if all else fails. Lemme know.

#10 ·
ok i'll start checking some of this today and see how it goes. When we bought this truck it came with 3 PMD's didn't know what they where before so i'll check some numbers and see what we've got.
Check to see if they have the calibration resister in them, may not start otherwise. Depends if ECM lost memory at any point. Without some type of heat sink (either the DB4 or a remote) they will burn up fast.

Welcome to the world of Detroit deisel :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.