Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Who Profits?

3K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 ·
When dispatch calls a tow truck at an accident, and they charge for the phone call (not the tow, that was a seperate charge). Who profits from the phone call? Dispatch, state cop, or the tow company?

#34 ·
The tow company profits... In Muskegon county anyways...

They justify it saying that when a CD (central dispatch) call comes in they stop what they're doing and respond. I've been mid-tow, and have dropped the customers car in one of my stash spots, and taken the CD call. The reasoning is this. If a company takes an exorbiant amount of time to respond they simply get kicked off the rotation. The equals big $$ loss. So essentially, you're paying a convience charge. the convience that you're getting moved to the front of the line.
Similar to ambulance calls... Got a heachache, call the ambulance instead of driving your lazy ass to the hospital. You don't have you wait in the waiting room, you get wheeled in to a spot upon arrival.

#35 ·
I guess that sucks considering when he got there I asked if he was busy, he replied with I was sitting on my ass waiting for the next job (me).

Funny though, he said he would follow me to my house to drop it and mid route he calls and said he needed to head back to the shop first to pick up a new slip for his next tow. His shop was 5 miles out of the way to get to my house......I was charged those 5 miles.

#42 ·
Are you saying there was a charge on the tow bill for dipatch to make a phone call? I have never heard of this and I worked for a few different wrecker services in Barry County, which I am guessing is where her accident happened.(M-37 just south of 108th st?) What tow company hauled it for you? I know most of them so I am curious to find out what is going on. If you want to pm me that is OK. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

#43 ·
Tires 2000

One line charge at $4 mile x 10 miles = $40

Second line "911 dispatch $85"

$125

Like I've stated, it wasn't the cost, it was the idea I was questioning . I hadn't ever had to deal with a vehicle being towed from an accident before so I didn't know about it and was curious. What monkey biz said makes sense and more or less answered my question :thumb:.

Insurance company is picking up the tab anyway.

#45 ·
:eek: Around here it's closer to 65 to hook, 2.50-2.75 loaded mile. When I was doing it we ran flat rates. In town, 50. Just outside of town, 65, next town over 75+. But then again, my boss owned 8 different tow truck companies, and would pushed it so people would get use to calling their most local company.

#44 ·
The 911 dispatch is actually the tow fee, it just means it was an emergency call. It would have been the same charge if you had called yourself. That is actually a pretty good price in this area, I know some of the shops in Hastings are getting $200 plus mileage. Jon that owns Tires 2000 is a good guy so that price doesn't surprise me.

#47 ·
Again I didn't know and was curious, the driver couldn't explain it to me, so I turned to the next best place.....GL4x4 :sonicjay:. My intent wasn't to talk down on them, but ask why. Well other then paying for the extra mileage to their shop before my house :sonicjay:. I think the total time between when the call was made and when it was dropped in my yard was maybe 40 minutes. That was pretty damn quick and conveinent in itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.