Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Switching 9" carriers for DD - insanity?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Cooter 
#1 ·
Is this insane or does it make sense.. Say you wanted nice low off-road gearing for your DD but diden't want to sacrifice gas miliage - if you had a 9" in the rear, you could have two carriers - one loaded with low off road gears (that match the front axle's) and one loaded with a higher street gears for DDing in 2wd?

If you wheel monthly, would it be worth all the work switching them to save (?) some dino juice.

#2 ·
Sounds like a waste to me, unless you really had a long way to drive. Anything that needs that big of gearing difference is going to suck gas down anyway...

If you were to do it, at least get full float setup to make it quicker to pull the axles.

But it'd be a waste.

#5 ·
I have done it with my 8 3/4 in the TJ- pretty easy, and the open diff is much less annoying than the spool on the street w/o swaybars. :tonka:

Used to drive up to Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove with 3.23s in my old Challenger, and swap 4.88s in at the track. I could drop the exhaust, swap on slicks and change the rear diff in 20 minutes or less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.