Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Cummins swap on 98 short box dodge

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Haggar 
#1 ·
I'm going to install a 12v cummins in my 98 short box 4x4 can I use my stock tran.s if I get it built ? And what all do I need for the swap?

#3 ·
Seriously jay? That is one LAMEASS comment. Maybe he has a 1998 1500 and plans to put a 12v in it or maybe it's a 2500 or 3500 w/o (god knows why they didn't just make it a requirement for all LOL). But should've bought one with? That's is the single dumbest thing I have read ALL night.

Jay, you win the moron award

#7 ·
IF he's trying to swap into a 3/4 ton QCSB (the only possible 98 with a diesel and short bed option), then yeah, its often better off to just start with a new truck, unless you have all the parts. Individual parts buying for the motor, trans, mounts, exhaust, and fuel system can easily end up costing more than the truck swap. 98's were available with 12 and 24v models, early or late.

If its to make a combination that doesn't exist, or there is something special about the truck (sentimental or already has lots of other work done) then obviously thats not an option.

The transmission depends on what you had in there. Dodge rams of the 90s don't have very many 'good' transmissions, especially in stock form. I don't know that I would trust any of the 1/2 ton transmissions, even built up. I believe the factory installations of the Cummins used an adapter plate to go from the SAE pattern on the block, to the Chrysler pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.