Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

4l60e trans rebuild?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Disturban 
#1 ·
I have a 95 1500 4x4 and just pulled my trans I found a guy that works on transmissions at a chevy dealer that will rebuild it in his garage for 800 bucks but I thionk he is going to put the stock parts in it and the only heavy duty thing he was talking about replace was the part for reverse but I t still had reverse and I was wondering if I can rebuild it if I got the mega monster complete rebuild kit from monstertrans.com for 525 bucks and if I need any specialized tools or anything and I was going to buy a manuel on the 4l60e so I could do it by the book
Need to start on this soon so please reply thanks hahah

#3 ·
#6 ·
I know the 4L80E requires $300 or so worth of specialty tools to do it right. Can't say for sure if it's the same for the 4L60E. And it's probably a HD reverse band, I just had my 4L80E redone because of a broken reverse band. They charged me $800 at my trans shop for a bench unit.

#8 ·
okay yea i talked to there oh so great tech support and there are only two tools that i need umm i know for a fact that my stock accumulator piston is cracked and that my 3-4 clutches are shot i know my reverse band and drum are most likly fine because reverse never stop working and the only thing i was worried about is that plastic piston that already broke so i am going to get a aluminum o-ring type thanks for your help

#9 ·
dont do it yourself unless you plan to build a bunch of them. yes the mega rebuilt is like 500 bucks but ull have twice that into tooling for it. ive built 200r4's n 700r4's and built most of my own tools but still not as cheap as youd think. buy a rebuilt one or pay someone if its a one time thing imo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.