Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Help me out with a work problem

6K views 101 replies 59 participants last post by  Ember 
#1 ·
I work for a rather large retail chain. I started working their in september, have not had any problems, was promoted from a cashier to a customer service rep within a month of being there.

Lately stuff has started to go down hill fast.

Now I'm not racist but if you know Midland at all it's a pretty White community. 1/2 of my Co Workers are Black and from Saginaw. Most of the Managers are black as well so there is a lot of preferencial treatment going on.

A couple weeks ago we were super slow so I was told by my manager to go out and learn the media department of my store. I go out and start learning a little more about our inventory system, xbox hdmi etc etc. Well I was out there for about 4.5hrs learning all sorts of stuff and the manager who is in charge of most of the sales floor comes up and tells me very rudely to "go back to ops and stay there" So she takes the guy that was training me to the back.

Just so happens I have been friends with the guy who was training me for 10years. He told me she told him that I have no right to be on the floor because I dont even know how to do my own job properly. Mind you I have never heard this from MY manager before.:poke:

So the next day I went in and talked to my manager about it and how rude she was and how she had no right saying stuff like that about me to another employee.

After that shit has hit the fan. I was pulled aside about 2 weeks ago and told by my manager that people are telling him, I stand around, I dont do anything, I pretend to be busy so I dont have to help a customer etc the list is completely retarded. I work with one girl who asks to go home early all the time and never gets in trouble.

So he told me I need to work hard at over comming this perception people have of me. OK I figure I'll work at it. Today he calls me into the office again to tell me that people are still saying stuff to him and that he doesn't like hearing it, doesnt wanna fire me bla bla. He made me sign a final warning stating that if he hears ANY negative feedback from here out I am FIRED!

WTF! He tells me its hard to over come the perception people have of me yet only gives me 2 weeks and then tells me if I dont change asap I'm fired?!

I am pretty sure it is the girl directly above me, her 2 buddies in my area and the stupid bitch floor manager that was talking shit about me.

The other day I was cleaning above the customer service area, stocking apps and all that and she came back and stood at the bottom of the ladder with her arms crossed staring at me. She came back on Monday as I was waiting for help from a member of the comp. area to help me look at an Xbox to decide what we needed to do for the guy and she came stalkin back asking people where the hell I was. Mind you I had only been off the floor for like 2 minutes.

At this point in time I see it as pure harassment. My manager only has hearsay as to what is going on, he is going off of people just telling him what they wanna say. The girl that is directly above me spends HOURS sitting on her ass in the office pretending to work.

So I don't know what to do I don't need or want to get fired but I have a feeling that is comming in probably a week or 2. I told him I feel like someone has it out for me and he tells me I'm being silly.

So tomorrow if my GM is there I am going to him and I am calling HR as well. Other than that I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions? I've worked retail since I was 17yrs old and have NEVER had any problems but all of a sudden in the last month I am the worst employee ever. Even though there are days I sell $600 in service plans and warrenties.

I have the option to go back to Mosquito Control In April which I am very highly considering but I'd like to at least keep the job I have no for weekends and such.

Other question is If I do get fired do I have enough proof to file a wrongful discharge or harassment case against anyone at my work. My manager doesnt do shit when I go to him and nothing ever gets taken care of. I'm not looking for money out of the deal I just want shit to be corrected so people quit getting screwed over. We have even had customers say that the Racial tension in our store is very high.

See less See more
#32 ·
So he told me I need to work hard at over comming this perception people have of me. OK I figure I'll work at it. Today he calls me into the office again to tell me that people are still saying stuff to him and that he doesn't like hearing it, doesnt wanna fire me bla bla. He made me sign a final warning stating that if he hears ANY negative feedback from here out I am FIRED!
I'm no HR or legal expert, but IMHO, your chance of keeping your job after signing this document is very low.

:(

I hate to see shit like this go down.

#34 ·
I see you waivering back and forth on what to do. Advice; If your employer has an employee handbook or policy manual that outlines how to handle workplace problems, it would be advisable to follow it to the T. Otherwise you're just giving them an example of you not being able to follow employee policies and procedures.

#38 ·
perception is reality

Unfortunately I have seen and been in this situation.
The reality of it is this:
1. perception is reality. As it has been said before, they already documentation.
2. HR is not there to help anyone other than the company. I have worked IT Support directly for HR Departments. Get past the usual "we are here for you" and "we have an open door policy" and you find that they are just there to handle the personnel administration and get the most from employees.

MI is at will. You will be leaving, it is your choice as to how you leave.

#41 ·
you should actually start slacking off more, for two reasons.

First, those threatened by your performance will chill out.

Second, they already think you're slacking off, might as well do it. Then let them compare your productivity

this shit happens here all the time with the union, they hire some new kid, who busts ass to prove himself, and scares all the lazy oldtimers. They usually end up having grievences filed against them for some BS or another, eventually they become lazy to, just to fit in

#42 ·
I think this might actually work . Ive had friends in similar sit. that this worked fairly well for. The prob with a large chain is your just a # to them so if they have made thier mind up your already screwed .good luck! Make Them Call The Amber Lamps If this dosent work!:beerbang:

#48 ·
Being a manager who has had employees with real discipline issues I would like to add:
Your manager is not your friend. I am friendly with some of my employees but trust me going to lunch or being on my IM list/jeep forum doesn't net you anything if your performance is crappy.
HR is interested in not getting the company sued. This sometimes means that a person who potentially could have a grievance that would make the company look bad will get out of disciplinary action. In my experience, HR will often times bend to accommodate that person because the PR from a lawsuit is more trouble than the company wants regardless of the truth of the situation or whether they could win the lawsuit.
Lastly, Your coworkers are not your friends. Keep your conversations with them that stir the pot to a minimum. I hate it when I have employees who cause drama and lower morale. You can be friendly with your coworkers but they are business associates, not your buddies.

I also think you might have started to remedy this problem too late. You are already documented as having a work performance issue. I am not sure what advice to give you in this situation other than in your write up legally they should have given you specific goals to use as areas of improvement. Pay close attention to the goals and meet them consistently.

#101 ·
Um this is on page 3............:(

I am already familar with UIA, as I get it as well as a paycheck.

And I'm not the only one who is fed up with the BS.

There have been a couple other co workers that have been calling HR and these particular girls for a little bit now and I just found out about it.

Say what you want but I dont let people walk all over me.

I think I got all the useful advice off the first page or 2 so this thread can be locked now ;)
It is still a simple matter. If this were some 50+k a year job that you have been with for 10 years I could see your frustration and concerns on what you should do.....

Like a gang bang. Does it really matter who gets fucked first?

#57 ·
It will always be a hostile environment from here on out. It sounds like you potentially learning new things and maybe moving to a different area would mess with their little clique.

You also mentioned race may be a factor. The company does not want lawsuits. Period. If they take action against whoever is harassing you, the race card will be played and that spells trouble for the company. They will want to avoid this. It is easier to fire a white girl then go against a black girl.

As mentioned before, if you are a good worker, you make other people look bad who are not good workers. Rather then them stepping up their game, they will try to bring you down to their level or get rid of you.

#60 ·
Document all your actions. Get a written request to HR for your personal file. All grievances must be in there for them to use that to fire you. That will also show you who is saying what. For the manager to say "so and so has been saying," that "so and so" has to be documented in your personal file. This will only protect you if you get let go. It really won't make your job there any better. You may have to pay for copies of your files and I believe they have 10 days (don't quote me) to provide them to you from the date your turn in your written request.

#62 ·
Contact Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Tell them you are in the minority in a store with racial tensions. Make sure you record your conversations with Al and Jesse so you have proof that they commited to helping you. Video tape your meeting with Al and Jesse making sure you get their reactions when they see you are white. Share video with us so when can enjoy the reaction of two of the biggest racists known to man when they see they almost helped a white girl.

#63 ·
Awesome!

I would second (or third or what ever) not stiring the pot by talking to other employees. You may get fired, but if you did honest work then it shouldn't really bother you and the other people can screw off. I worked at Meijer for about 6 months and had to deal with the people that had gotten lazy. I did my job to the best of my ability and that was too much for them. They didn't like it. However, My Manager loved me because I wasn't them.

Working your hardest (which I'm sure you are) is about the best way to prove those kind of people wrong. If you get fired for it then they didn't deserve to have a worker of your Caliber working for them.

#64 ·
I haven't read everything......but, no union contract you are an "at-will" employee and can be fired without cause or with cause as long as there is no discrimination . You have no cause for action.

Find another job.

#70 ·
I agree. I'd go back to the Mosquito killin' job ASAP.:thumb:

#71 ·
Recently a promotion opened up at my workplace and a co worker sent a petty email to the floor manager reporting "mistakes" I have made on the job. Fortunately my manager saw it as my co worker being unprofessional. I handled it by confronting my co worker with the printed email making it clear he made it sound like a personal attack and if there are any problems he has working with me to bring them to my attention, and have not had a problem yet

Almost everywhere there is someone that will kiss ass to every superior and is out to make anyone look bad if it makes them look better. The best way to handle such situations is to confront them and let them know it does not create a good work environment with a tattle tale. After all if no one tells YOU they have a problem you cannot change it.

#73 ·
For the 2nd time I do NOT work at walmart.

And I spent the day talking to my co workers and they all know who is spreading the lies and rumors and it is exactly who I figured it was.

The girls that are talking crap are the ones who leave work early all the time, call in, come in late, wander off, or stand around and talk while the rest of us work.

So two can play this game. I'm just going to start calling HR and reporting them for everything they do wrong. Like when they ask to leave early, or continuely call in or ask to go home early etc.

And my main point is if no one tells me what I'm doing "wrong" how can I make a change? Pretty retarded if you ask me. Just like them thinking I can change some assholes perception of me in a week, especially if that person doesn't like me from the start.

#75 ·
Wow......who would've thought there was so much drama at Walmart?:teehee:

#83 ·
i had something similar to this and my manager came to me and told me that they were going to have to write me up and that there would be an investigation. i had the next few days off to clear my head and i went back in to work an hour early and told my manager that i wasnt going to sign anthing other than my paycheck and that if she didnt take care of the issue that i was going to go over her head to are DM who i got along with great. in the end my manager quite a couple month later and the girl that started it all had her hours cut down to 4.5 hour a week.

so long story short the people above you know what going wrong and hate to be undermined. so if left them know that you are not going to allow them to walk all over you they will most likely take care of the problem.

#100 ·
I am already familar with UIA, as I get it as well as a paycheck.

And I'm not the only one who is fed up with the BS.

There have been a couple other co workers that have been calling HR and these particular girls for a little bit now and I just found out about it.

Say what you want but I dont let people walk all over me.

I think I got all the useful advice off the first page or 2 so this thread can be locked now ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.