Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Operation "Welcome Home" the HULK project!

16K views 124 replies 19 participants last post by  babyjp95 
#1 ·
I'm starting a build for a friend of mine that is in Iraq. We are starting out with an 07' JK Unlimited that has a 4" lift with 1 ton U-joints and 35" tires, d30 and d44 axles, it was purchased with a blown motor so we are told, apparently it was hydrolocked, but i haven't had a chance to look it over yet. So for a motor we are gonna do a 6.1 Hemi swap. Other plans include a d44 front fender kit winch, bumpers, sliders, and what ever alse comes to his mind, O ya n beadlocks.:rock:
Here are a few of the pics! this may be a long build dew to the fact that I am a traveling worker and we have about a year to finish, but hoping to have it running by April.:nana::sparks:

Attachments

See less See more
#84 ·
:rock:Got it, got the bushing out of the crank, nothing a welder and slide hammer couldn't resolve. got the trans in now and the crossmember in. Got to put the kids to bed then back out to the garage n have pics up later.:sparks::sparks::rock::nana:

#85 ·
So got some detail work done last night. Mostly just put the core support and fascia on, got the wiring run across the core, then modified the battery box to fit over the motor. Life is good. :woot:
I got to go to work tomorrow afternoon, Hoping to get a little more work done before then. :rock:

#86 ·
Went out to the garage today for a couple hours before I left and worked on the wood stove for an hour and then got a steering issue figured out I think, find out when we run the motor, and heater hoses figured out. and that's it. Gone for a week.

#88 ·
well not a real productive day, spent hour and a half at the dealership trying to find out what a part that bolts to the back of the intake is that is missing and can't find it but they got a lead that they have ordered so we will c monday if it's the part or not, bought some color match paint with the paint code and some FUCKED up royally cause the color came out a gun metal gray instead of rescue green. So they will be making another can Monday. That's not even the worst of it, got the new exhaust manifolds in 2 days ago that are FOR a JK with a 6.1 and guess what the passenger side hits the tranny long before the mating surface of the manifold hits the block so Monday I will be contacting the manufacturer of the manifolds. this sucks! but I got the A/C lines in and the rest of the old exhaust out. I feel like this thing is fighting me all the way.

#89 ·
Got a little done on the Hulk tonight. Got the headers modified to fit and the center head painted and installed and got the evap skid installed, now for whats left to start it.......

modify exhaust to fit new headers......
get special starter to work with the headers cause the one we got won't fit......
Tranny lines......
driveshafts......
Battery.....
radiator hoses....
map sensor.....
compasetor....
gas lines....
few misc. hoses.....
Auto shifter and hook up.....
hook up 4wd shifter.....

I think that's it but I no something will come up

#97 ·
Got to work on the Hulk a little more in the last couple days, and by little I mean about 2 hours. Got the lower radiator hose done so I filled the radiator, and got the gas Line on and changed the trans filters( yes 2 filters) and trans cooler installed but haven't got the lines run yet. Almost there guys only tranny lines and a vacuum for the EVAP system and I think we'll be ready to fire. But other than that i got interior to put back together, 4wd cable and bracket to hookup and drive shafts and fenderwells to reinstall and a couple other odds and ends.

#98 ·
This build looks great. I am currently in Afghanistan so I know how i would feel if I was your friend. I bought a 93 Ranger a few weeks ago from a friend that i am slowly getting done via family at home. It is posted on here as well its called "The Soldiers Curse". I bought it with a 3" body lift and 31's, and i picked up a set of 31x11.50 LTB's that are on it.

#101 ·
it's ALIVE!

well guys after 10 or so months it's finally alive. Just gota few things to hook up still like drive shafts, fenderwells, and tcase shifter bracket and then trim rear fender wells and figure out an air induction for it. hope you like the video but I can tell you it sounds MUCH better in person!

:usa::woot::rock::bdr2:
can't wait to drive it!

#106 ·
thx swamprat! It sounds so much more amazing in person, every time I start it I get a hard-on. I'm having trouble with the trans shifting into 1st, it will only shift manually and it seems to be starting off in 2nd then shifting to 3rd, (this is Y i hate automatics, especially computer controlled ones!) so on Monday I'm taking it to the dealer to see if they can fix the programing for the trans and make it work right. other than that only major thing left to do is modify the 4wd shifter bracket to the case and get a center counsel, and trim wheel well and get Spudy to finish the bumpers (LOL) so I can get the winch installed, and 1 inner fender. YEAH HA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.