Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Need help... 78 CJ7

931 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  PavementPounder 
#1 ·
Just bought my first Jeep, 78 CJ7 has 304 3sp. Looking for options to make it sit wider. What are some suggestions for axles or anything else anyone can think of. Looking for something for trails mostly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Well one of the simplest thing to do is go with a wider wheel with a large off set to make the stance wider, one thing that conserns me when someone new to the sport of jeeping,they get way over their head in developing a jeep that they think will run down the road like their stocker, and be really disapointed in the amount of money they have put into their jeep and it drives like crap for what they want to use it for, so be really careful when building a jeep dont get in over your head mechanically, Its easy to really screw up a good thing!
Wider tires and simple lifts keep a guy or gal that is limited mechanically, challenged enough!
Just for straters keep it simple and have a blast! :rock:

#6 ·
The "simplest" thing to do is add spacers. I wouldn't do that.

I wouldn't go and blow money on new wheels, either.

The WT swap is pretty easy and it opens the door for you to improve your gearing at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.