Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

School me in starter quads for my kids

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  xj97sport 
#1 ·
What would be a good starter 4 wheeler for my kids? I have heard that e-ton's are about the best of those chinese looking ones. My Daughter is 8, and my son is 5.

I was around 6 or 7 when my parents bought a brand new 80cc yamaha, did us quite a few years of service.

They currently have a Jeep Hurricane but I think they are ready for a little more speed.

I am in the process of picking up a 1995 Blaster with a possible blown motor, but my buddy says it will be way too fast for them(once fixed), hence my question.

Appreciate your time and knowledge in advance!

#2 ·
Blaster is too much bike for that young of a kid. I started when I was 5 on a 3 wheeler and then moved to a PW50 dirtbike and then a Yamaha 125 Breeze.

I would look for something like the Breeze. Automatic, reverse, easy to ride, decent amount of power and super reliable.

My brother still rides a Blaster and he is 21.

#4 ·
Stay away from those Chinese brand quads for kids. They break and you can never get parts for them from what I hear. I picked up a Honda 90 for my son. It's a 2004 and I think I paid like 800 for it. SO worth the money. It's Honda reliable and we've been having a ball with it. It's a semi auto which you shift the gears but you don't need a clutch. Also look for a quad that has a throttle limiter so you can tone it down while they learn to ride.

#7 ·
We kicked my kid off on a Bombardier 90 and it was perfect. That kid put some serious miles on it between the ages of 6 and 15.

There's a thumb screw that will limit the speed initially and you can start to crank it down as they progress. I think the top speed was right around 40 with my fatt ass on it once we opened it up all of the way.

#9 ·
My son started on a Polaris sportsman 90 at 5... he was a Big 5, but as a Huge 13 year old, he still rides it... I am a shade over 210 and 6' tall and ride it all the time... I can wheelie that little thing long time...:rock:

Seems to be a great little bike. My daughter is on it now and she won't let me sell it to get a bigger one!:thumb:

#10 ·
1985, 86, or 87 Honda 70 fourtrax. I would say that would be the wheat from the chaff.

#16 ·
My oldest 10 rides a kfx 80, thing is crazy fast and you can mod the crap out of them.
My youngest 6 rides a bombardier ds 50 its fast on take off but low top speed, once again there are mads to make it faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.