Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Pulling off the road for a funeral

10K views 88 replies 36 participants last post by  Skooter_Built 
#1 ·
Ok, I was discussing this with co-workers last night, and one of them who feels he has a firm grasp on the law, looked up the law. It says you must yield to funeral processions and give them the right of way. I knew this, you can't cut into a funeral procession. However, the question at hand was, if you are traveling in one direction on a 2 lane road and a funeral procession is heading in the opposite direction on the 2 lane road, do you need to pull over to the side of the road? I interpret the law as you give them the right of way and yield to them, but in the case of traveling in opposite directions, you aren't infringing on their right of way and you're free to continue traveling. He interprets it as you MUST pull over to the side of the road as you would with a emergency vehicle. All the rest of my co-workers felt that it was just a common courtesy and a showing of respect.

GL4x4, what say you? Especially Hancho, I would like to hear what he has to say on it.

The discussion was spurred by this article/video:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/22037194/crash-video-stirs-funeral-procession-controversy

#9 ·
I don't understand either.

Honestly I can't even think of a time when I've came across a funeral procession going the opposite way. I can think of many times when one has crossed my path and I've had to wait.

I fully understand why you pull over for an emergency vehicle going the opposite way. But I've just really never thought about it for a funeral procession.

I kinda get the respect thing, but honestly if I was in the procession or riding in the lead car I wouldn't see people not pulling over as disrespectful. Now someone cutting in line, passing, breaking it up by going through a stop sign, something like that I fully agree with being disrespectful.

#6 ·
I had never heard of pulling off to the side of the road in that situation. After reading that article and discussing it on ADVrider, I had just assumed it was a southern thing.

#11 ·
I think the correct answer is you SHOULD NOT pull over. I understand the respect aspect, however some cars pulling over and some not is a recipe for a collision, imagine travelling to your loved ones internment and a car, trying to avoid a car pulled over clips a vehicle in your procession.

#14 ·
Interesting. Over spring break, My in-laws were telling us about that behavior in Pensacola, FL, with everyone stopping being common. I had never seen anything like that. Then we were on the base to visit the Naval Air Museum, just as we always do. When we left, a funeral procession was arriving at the base and every car across 6+ lanes (i.e. inbound and outbound lanes) just stopped where they were. Aside from those in the inbound lanes that had to move out of the way, nobody changed lanes or anything. They just stopped. Given the circumstances, I certainly wouldn't complain, but it was weird.

#18 ·
I would only stop or pull over for a military precession, maybe fire/police.

Anything other then that, fuck them they are dead and in no hurry. I'm alive and got shit to do and places to be.

#53 · (Edited)
As an adult I'm entitled to my opinion. By not stopping I'm breaking no laws. Its a personal choice. This is just one of those personal religious/respect issues that I don't believe in (ie: wearing hats in religion) each has its own thoughts and practices. It's either hats/head cover for all or none.

#54 ·
As an adult, you should act like an adult. I don't care if you stop or not. I don't pull over either if I'm not obstructing the flow of the procession. That's not the statement that is offensive. It's your cold callous fuk-em attitude about those that are greiving and honoring the loss of someone they love. It's your heartless attitude about someone who has just died. It's not respectful and it's not funny.

#57 ·
Or respect for his parents, his friends, or himself. What is funny is he thinks nothing is wrong with his attitude, or the fact he still buys projects while living at home, or breaks shit when he borrows it and never replaces it, or he moves trash cans to cover/hide damage caused by him, or when take advantage of a friends generosity and destroy his garage, ect

#66 ·
You know after comming back to being levelheaded I realize what I've said in here was completely uncalled for and inappropriate so I wanna apologize for that. I should have kept my personal opinions to myself as I broke my personal rules in not talking religious beliefs or politics.

Sorry,

Andy.

#73 ·
Hancho, could you confirm that the law does not require you to pull over for a funeral procession coming in the other direction like you would an ambulance, police car, or other emergency vehicle.

#75 ·
It happens all the time up here.. Harrison is a small town but we have as many cemetaries as we do bars.. And probably 90% of the time you know the person who passed or someone in the family.. We all pull over for a funeral or emergancy vehicle no matter which direction you are headed.. (yes I know its a law for emergancy vehicles.)

#78 ·
This the law for Emergency Vehicles:

257.653 Immediate approach of authorized emergency vehicle; duty of driver of another vehicle; duty of streetcar operator; violation as civil infraction.

Sec. 653. (1) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle equipped with not less than 1 lighted flashing, rotating, or oscillating lamp exhibiting a red or blue light visible under normal atmospheric condition from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle and when the driver is giving audible signal by siren, exhaust whistle, or bell:

(a) The driver of another vehicle shall yield the right of way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway, clear of an intersection, and
shall stop and remain in that position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed,
except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

(b) The operator of a streetcar shall immediately stop the car, clear of an intersection, and shall keep it in that position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

(2) This section does not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of persons using the highway.

(3) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.

So, you need to pull to the right hand curb, or as close as possible, and remain until the EV has passed.

#79 ·
I just wanted to be able to tell him that I had a cop tell me he was wrong. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.