Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Engineering side job.

4K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  Skooter_Built 
#1 ·
So I acquired a side job doing some extra engineering work. He wants to know what I want to charge as a job. The job he gave me is 8-10 hours of work.

I have no idea what to charge. Any ideas or recommendations?

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
that is what I figured, have a degree.

I assume you mean drafting or 3d modeling?

Design and model.

Unless you are a PE my suggestion would be to turn it down. If you are working your employer's insurance covers your actions. If you are a PE, you carry personal liability insurance. If you do side things on your own outside these options, the liability is on you. I may be too cautious but, one incident can ruin a career.
Not a PE.
Everything is low speed. Not much for inherent danger.

#14 ·
Unless you are a PE my suggestion would be to turn it down. If you are working your employer's insurance covers your actions. If you are a PE, you carry personal liability insurance. If you do side things on your own outside these options, the liability is on you. I may be too cautious but, one incident can ruin a career.

#31 ·
I do cad work on the side for $45 an hour for my previous employer. Mostly updating old assemblies, prints, and the like. Most of it is stuff that they have been doing different but have not updated since I left 3+ years ago. I imagine doing design work with your degree should be worth more than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.