Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

87 yota truggy-(UPDATE!!) front dovetail!

29K views 244 replies 23 participants last post by  974x4Taco 
#1 · (Edited)
I have started this build a long time ago, and it is taking way too long to finish. I am aiming to have it completely finished before the end of January.
Here is what I'm running.

1987 Toyota Pickup
22R from an 84, running 'pane, headman header, deleted ALL emissions and computers.
W56 trans from an 84
Marlin Crawler doubler 2.28 gears in both
84 front axle, 4.10's, lock right, Dirty 30's, Hi Steer, trussed and blingin.
87 rear axle, welded spiders, 4.10's.
cut frame 6" behind cab
All Pro rear springs for a 98 taco(going up front)
Trail-Gear t-case crossmember.
35" BFG KM2's
15" Trail Ready Beadlocks
T Max 9000 winch
85:1 crawl ratio
I also recieved some 5 points for christmas so now we will roll safely.

Here's the front axle ready to go in.

Header

Safety First!!!

Prior to blowing up the first engine. yota 1.1.

'pane is the only way to burn!

I am going to upload a TON more pics. Enjoy...

See less See more
#244 ·
I didn't buy the ARP ones, I would rather break those then rip the threads out of the knuckle. They are Marlins "stronger than stock" ones. It took all of 25 minutes to drill out 3 of the broken ones and have the new ones in and everything ready to go. Plus the ARP's are 12 bucks a piece!!!

#245 ·
You won't rip the threads out.....the issue is tightness...anything torqued to stock specs will loosen and shear...i had 4 arp's and a 1/2 grade 8 bolt per side all torqued to 110lb/ft....even with hydro and 38.5's they never loosened.

I know they are $$$$ but do yourself a favor and get them, then do the 5th bolt mod.....i have seen more than one knuckle ripped off on the trail....it sucks.....alot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.