Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

which is a better truck

4K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Blackjackbender 
#1 ·
I am taking a student loan out for a truck in the next month if not sooner. Im looking at something 1/2ton since I cant afford a 3/4ton and dont really wanna buy an older 3/4 ton. right now im looking at 2002-2003 ram 1500 4x4's crew cab's and 2001-2003 ford f-150 crew cabs. the ram will have the 4.7 or 5.9 and I believe the only option on the f-150 is the 5.4. Which one of these trucks would be the most dependable for a DD for a long while? dont really care which one will win the race or which one could tow better Id like to know which one isnt going to leave my ass on the side of the fucking road like my TJ did today.

thanks for the help,

Ty

#2 ·
you're taking a student loan out for a truck? Aren't student loans meant for school, like books, classes, room & board? Not transportation to get to/from school, or in your case hauling your jeep around?

sorry to knock you, I at least found a company that would pay for part of my tuition and took student loans for school and used the company money on my Jeep :)....glad to see someone else is as smart as I was.

But on to your subject, I would go for the Ford because of the tranny...dodge's are netorious for not so great tranny's. Buying a newer 1/2ton is the same as an older 3/4ton, Most 1/2 tons now adays can pull the same as older 3/4 tons, just not as much payload capacity necessarily (in the bed......truck bed you perverts!), brakes on the newer 1/2 tons are about the same if not better than older 3/4 tons in a lot of cases.

#4 ·
i bought my motorcycle and put a down payment on my apartment with money from school....al i had to do is prove it was for houseing or for transportation to and from school.....i think u have to live a certain milage from school to justify if for transportation.....mine i think was 30 miles or more.....i lived 34 miles lucky me....

#5 ·
I love my ram with the Hemi, but wouldn't recommended one with the 4.7 or the 5.9 if you want any kind of gas mileage. I've talked to friends with both and they are completely dissatisfied with there trucks. Find an 02-03 F150 with a 5.4 and you'll be happy with it as a DD fuel mileage wise and it should do a descent job pulling the jeep too :thumb:

#11 ·
The student loan would probably have a better interest rate than a vehicle loan, but that's not always the case.

I really would go towards the Ford...........unless of course you would rather a chevy/gmc, they are even better IMHO.

#18 ·
right, buy a ranger and have no room in the cab AND no power to pull stuff. not to mention you get smoked every time. by grandmas. he might as well buy a car.

I could do that and pay 7000 grand and drive the vehicle for 2-3 years or I could buy one for 10-12,000 and and drive it for however long I want. sure it would be nice to lease but I do not think its for me. I like to buy my vehicles with the intention of keeping it for a while not to turn around and trade it back in. Only if the trucks I could afford had the hemi, there about 2-3 grand above what i want to spend since they are 2003 not 2002.

thanks for the help though,

Ty
of course with a dodge you can only drive it untill your tranny goes out or you get sick of the death wobble.

#14 ·
Just lease a Dodge Ram. With a Chrysler employee number or a EC number you should be able to drive out with a Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi sing and drive for around $250 or less.

#16 ·
I could do that and pay 7000 grand and drive the vehicle for 2-3 years or I could buy one for 10-12,000 and and drive it for however long I want. sure it would be nice to lease but I do not think its for me. I like to buy my vehicles with the intention of keeping it for a while not to turn around and trade it back in. Only if the trucks I could afford had the hemi, there about 2-3 grand above what i want to spend since they are 2003 not 2002.

thanks for the help though,

Ty

#19 ·
I have towed my Bronco ( around 7k lbs with the trailer) with my Dads 02 F150 with the 5.4 and it did great. Plenty of power and the mileage was not that bad. IDK what it was now it was last winter, I think maybe 10-12. But as a daily driver it drives great ang gets around 15-18 on the highway. He is rounding around 70k miles with not one problem so far.

#20 ·
dude by a beater, that way u can use the money for other stuff, once u enter the work force after school then u can afford that diesel 3/4 ton u know u want

#23 ·
I have a 2 beater thats why I need a reliable truck :sonicjay:

looks like my dad is going to help me out once i brought this up to him since he wants a truck this summer for towing his boat instead of his mini van :sonicjay:, and for getting lumber out of the woods upnorth. that is going to be nice not having to take out such a large loan.

Leaning toward the ram since i have a bit of seat time in one but am still looking at fords.

#26 ·
buy a ford f650 . you can tow my jeep to!:sonicjay:

#32 ·
chevy

I personally like the 88 to 98 chevy/gmc trucks. Dependable, easy to get parts for, easy to work on,and reasonably priced. The parts coverage spans so many years that upgrades and parts are readily available anywhere you go.
They have excellent power also.

#33 ·
I personally like the 88 to 98 chevy/gmc trucks. Dependable, easy to get parts for, easy to work on,and reasonably priced. The parts coverage spans so many years that upgrades and parts are readily available anywhere you go.
They have excellent power also.
i agree, i have a 95 k1500 shes a beast. go with the 5.7L though.

#38 ·
I use a ford with the 5.4. I tow my Jeep with no problems at all. It will tow at 75-85 mph. It gets about 12 - 14 mpg when towing at a normal speed.Wife uses it as a daily driver and gets around 16mpg, and it's a 4x4 F250.

IMO you dont want anything smaller than something in the 5.4 class.

#39 ·
looking at a ram 1500 hemi and a gm 1500hd with a 6.0, I have seat time in a f-250 and like them but just dont have the extra coin or need for a 3/4ton.

the thing I do not like about gm trucks is they look so small from the factory, compared to a dodge where I could level it and slap 35"s on with no problem expect for gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.