Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

PELLET STOVES who has got one

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  oz97tj 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a pellet stove. I have a wood stove now. Just trying to get some input on pellet stoves. Like what brands are better then others. How people like them or not.
Any input would be helpful.

#2 ·
Love them - set it and forget it. No getting up at 4 am to stoke ... Mine is a St Croix. now on year 5, been burning Corn since new, switching to pellets this year ( just ordered 2 tons) as i do not see corn dropping below $7 / bu any time soon.

they are all power vents so all you need is an outside wall, or tap into your existing roof top.

also installing one on the pole barn, fire it up Friday night to have the shop work ready saturday AM.

#3 ·
I've got a United States Stove I bought last year at TSC, the thing works great. Instead of keeping the thermostat in the upper 50's at night to cut down on propane use I can keep the whole house in the lower 70's 24 hours a day, I just use a couple fans to push air around. Went through about 4 tons of pellets last year heating a 2000 square foot farmhouse. Pellets are running close to $200 a ton from what I've seen so far.

#12 ·
That sounds like a dream only paying $800 for whole winter! We have a 2200sqft ranch home with high ceilings, it costs about $600 a winter month with natural gas to keep it in the mid 60's. Im concidering putting some kind of stove in the basement which were not really heating or using that much. Thinking that might help heat the up stairs thru heat transfer and maybe a few fans to move the heat?

Where do you guys buy the pellets? do they deliver them on a pallet?

I heat the barn with a wood stove, It's alot of work but worth it for sure.

#4 ·
We've got the same brand as homerdog. We went through our first winter with it and used a lot less propane than the year before. We're in a 2000 sq. ft. log house that's all open with a loft. Lots of ceiling to warm up so we also ran our ceiling fans to send it back down.

#6 ·
I have one that burns Pellets or Corn. Nobody can afford corn anymore unless they grow it themselves. I also have Natural Gas furnace and have found out that for only a few dollars difference a month, you will have less hassle just running a furnace and getting even heat to all the house and not have the hassle of buying pellets and dealing with storing them, filling stove, cleaning stove and pipe, etc........

Just my $.02

#8 ·
I also have the united states stove jobbie from TSC, and it works fine - but I have already burned out two igniters. Also, the blower that cicrulates the heated air into the room is noisy in my opinion. I suspect that's part of the reason the TSC stove was priced where it was. But as far as heat, awesome. Much better value than propane for me.

#9 ·
uumm...yeah, not a stove but bought a pellet bbq pit, if you are into smoking/roasting meats its the way to go. Its small enough to load into my truck and we take it camping. Throw in your main source (i use lump), and set the temp. The augers will put in pellets as needed and then later when you're hungry, you eat great. But as far as a heat source, way, way better than propane. My best friends family has one and the numbers seem to be about what everyone else here has said.

#15 ·
I have a pellet stove out in my pole barn and love it. Don't recall the brand, but I just load it up & crank it on high. Usually I will leave it running every weekend as I end out in the shop for a bit. I typically go through about a bag a day.

We have talked about putting one in the house, but its a hassle to keep loading it (I travel a lot so the wife would have to do it). I was researching putting it into the basement, but found that others said it does not work very well to heat the rest of the house (you just end up with a really warm basement.)

#16 ·
Mine is in the basement. Without it, the basement is useless in the winter (its finished and is where we spend a lot of time in the summer). With the stove running, the basement is awesome in the winter. Had to make some modifications to the cold air return, but now I run the blower to the main furnace in the winter, and it pulls the warm air from the basement and helps circulate it through the house. The normal furnace still runs to keep the upstairs warm, but not nearly as much, and the basement is still comfortable through the winter. Cut my propane usage through the winter in half.

#19 · (Edited)
I have one. Love it.

Mine is a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon insert. It'll burn different types of pellets and corn. Last winter was the first year with it, and I heated the whole house for less than $800 worth of pellets. However, being an insert, it only puts out heat from the unit itself. At night, I would set the programmable thermostat to kick off, and the furnace would kick on to get heat into the bedroom because the doors are shut. Even still, the furnace was set at a low temp so it didn't really cost much at all. Total, we had less than $1000 spent on heat last winter running it this way.

I get pellets from Greenways. http://www.pelletsandpits.com/ They deliver for a cheaper price than any other place I've found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.