Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

*****MTY Mouse XJ Build*****

17K views 108 replies 31 participants last post by  MTY Mouse 
#1 · (Edited)

The madness all started early 2007, I did not know jack crap about cherokee's and had previously lightly wheeled a DD 02 durango on 33's.

So late 2006, I was on Ebay and made a late night impluse purchase of a 91 XJ that was in New York, I was like what the hell am I going to do!!! How do I get this thing! Never a real plan. So luckly I called my Buddy who was Drunk at the time and asked him to help me go get it!!! He had a Duramax and could get a trailer.... a couple weeks later and well after a 12 hour day on the road thru Canada this is what I ended up with.

Guy told me it had electrical issues..... When we got it home, we tried to roll the motor over manually and it would not budge... so pulled the motor.

and this is what we found. So this is a little worse then a electrical issue..

I also started to do some cutting, had big plans, 2x6 rock rails and clearance the fenders

Mean while, my father in law and I started to rebuild the motor and while I was finishing the motor up, My brother called me out of the blue and said throw that black XJ away, I found you a red 89 XJ with a bad motor, he told me it was in great shape for a great price!!!!
So then this one shows up at the house!!!
Now we go something to work with!!!

So had to pull this motor and get my new one in!!!!

Well now that the motor is swapped, I have to swap over the small 2" lift that needed to go into the red one! Plus the black one had two good 31" Courser MT's which needed 2 more to complete the set, Then Dad comes across a set of rims behind his buddies barn, got the rims and tires mounted up and 2" lift in.....

Action Photo taken august 2007

See less See more
#66 · (Edited)
Here we go again:rock:

Cut the shit out of the floor and got the doubler installed, well some what!

Clocked quite high, but should allow for a decent flat belly

Did a lot of bending to get shifters to clear the driver seat

Not sure if I will ever need to shift the 231 but planning to run the stock shifter (cut and spun the shift lever) on passenger side of the tunnel and completely customize the stock linkage

Time for a :beer:

#70 ·
Still need to mock that side up, that is if anyone wants to run shotgun when it's done

Nice to see your back at it....You going to have this ready for shack down run at the Jeep Blessing???
That is my major stretch goal!!!, might have to have a couple major weekend Jeep parties!!

Well, it's about time. Welcome back :thumb:
Does feel good to make some progress.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

#71 ·
Got a little issue with finishing one thing before moving on to next, but did get new seals in Dana 300, twin sticks in and fluids in doubler. Did also get to have some fun last night and today. Checking out John D's thread this morning also gave me a little inspiration.

:beerbang:
Driver side is going to be f.un with the fuel fill tube exclorsure, little concerned about not going high enough, once i get both sides clearanced then I plan to flip the leafs to check tire clearance.

#74 ·
Checking out John D's thread this morning also gave me a little inspiration.

Driver side is going to be f.un with the fuel fill tube exclorsure, little concerned about not going high enough
Looking good. The driver's side is more of a PITA due the fill tub encloser, are you planning to raise the tank or go with a fuel cell?

#73 ·
nice to see your back at it, are you planning to raise the tank ? you would have room for the rear stretch and gas tank lid wouldnt be a problem to fab up a new one, or spin the tank around putting the filler tube on the other side

#77 ·
Looking good. The driver's side is more of a PITA due the fill tub encloser, are you planning to raise the tank or go with a fuel cell?
nice to see your back at it, are you planning to raise the tank ? you would have room for the rear stretch and gas tank lid wouldnt be a problem to fab up a new one, or spin the tank around putting the filler tube on the other side
On the fence, need to research the fuel cell route, keep telling myself that I am only going to do a large chunk of this one last time:sonicjay:

Hey- you're back! Looking good man. You'll be able to use a CJ 5 rear shaft by the time you're done with that thing :teehee:
Great to be back, Thanks

Keep up the good work, if you need anything made up let me know. :beerbang:
Anyone got drawings of xj frame stiffeners with dimensions to send my pal here?

#78 · (Edited)
Got a little more cutting done, decided to raise the tank (funds),

Still need to frame it out and reinforce the floor , then build skid, decent start

and got the driver side cut. :thumb:

Might work on frame for tank or closing in all the fenders, I should do some welding, getting sick of cut wheel dust (lungs need a break)

Need some suggestions on what to do with upper shock mounts once I stretch/flip leafs?

#82 ·
I have the same issue, I would like to run tube flares tying the rock rails to rear bumper but neither of them are where I would like them from a completion stand point.

I did the leaf flip and man did I gain some room, almost think I need to move forward or cut more in rear, what do you guys think?

Before:

After:

Crappy pic = dust in air

#87 · (Edited)
So, decided to try and make the tank/rear a flat belly, so raised things up, also shows the inner fenders with new sheet metal

tank test fit

new clearance, not shown are the shortened factory straps

Then decided to build a frame to close it in, doubles as a top hold down

Fuel lines are a little concerning, hoping small fill angle is not an issue, got it as high as possible with out cutting outer body yet again

Still need to work out how to bring fuel lines and electrical in from underneath

:rock:

Just Chill!!

#88 ·
Looks great love the little jeep with the gator wheels and tires
keep up the good work
I like to watch the fab skills and it helps me keep motivated to do more to my XJ
Also might help to use a straight piece of rubber hose on the filler neck instead of the factory bent one ... Just an idea if you do have trouble getting fuel in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.