Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

JK wheels on a WJ and AEV Bridger wheel review.

14K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  PavementPounder 
#1 ·
So you have a WJ and its 5x5 lug pattern. Of course the TJ, XJ, ZJ, MJ, and KJ have the 5x4.5, so they're not interchangeable. Well the new JK happens to share the WJ bolt pattern.

Stock JK rims are the following:
16" = 7" wide with 5.5" backspacing w/ offset of 10mm
17" = 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing w/ offset of 10mm
18" = 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing w/ offset of 10mm

Stock WJ rims are the following:
16" = 7" wide with 6" backspacing w/ offset of 50.8mm
17" = 7.5" wide with 6.25" backspacing w/ offset of 50.8mm

I already had 16" rims on the WJ, and my tires have a lot of life left in them, so I decided to go with 16" rims.

I ended up going with the AEV JK Bridgers. Now AEV's rims are designed with the bigger tire crowd in mind, and they have a backspacing of 4.6" to provide more tire - shock clearance for those running bigger tires.

At first I was nervous about this, because I didn't want the tires outside of the wheel wells, but after doing the math, and measuring the clearances on the WJ wheel wells, I figured out their JK rims would still sit under the wheel wells.

Now unto the rims:

The rims have a great look to them, and they're very glossy. I did put a coat of wax on them to hopefully protect them against the salty winter roads here. They have the AEV logo center cap that is of course removable, and they also have the valve stem provision into the rim as to protect them from being destroyed on rocks/logs etc.

Inside of the rim:

And I was very happy to see these are made in america :usa:

Since the stock spare tire lockdown hits the painted surface of the rim, I used a very expensive way of protecting it, a white towel :sonicjay:

Uh oh, Problem alert! The new setup prevents the spare tire cover from setting completely flush. I will look into why this is happening, and see if there is a fix for it.

Here is how the finished project looks:

Thanks to the AEV guys! I picked up the rims at their warehouse in Walled Lake, Michigan, and It was pretty cool to see all their projects. Now all you guys have to do is make some 8 lug beadlocks :thumb:

See less See more
#14 ·
Stock JK rims are the following:
16" = 7" wide with 5.5" backspacing w/ offset of 10mm
17" = 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing w/ offset of 10mm
18" = 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing w/ offset of 10mm

Stock WJ rims are the following:
16" = 7" wide with 6" backspacing w/ offset of 50.8mm
17" = 7.5" wide with 6.25" backspacing w/ offset of 50.8mm
Where did you get these numbers from?

#21 · (Edited)
can you find the proper info so I can correct that?
No. That's 3rd-year Michigan State arithmetic. :finger: To calculate offset, subtract half of your rim width from the backspacing.

You already know the backspacing, so the offset is meaningless at this point. If you are confident that the backspacing values you posted are correct (more likely), just delete the offset numbers from the post. Backspacing gives you the answer you need anyway. The stupid thing about offset is that you need to measure backspacing to calculate it. It also confuses people since it introduces both positive & negative values into what you are trying to figure out, where backspacing is always a positive (or absolute) number.

Edit: I suppose its technically possible to have a negative backspacing value, but I can't recall ever seeing an application on a passenger vehicle where the WMS stuck out past the inside edge of the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.