Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

fuel cell ? about roll over valve

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased RCI fuel cell model 2191a.

It has the three ports on the top, feed-return-roll over valve. Does it have the valve in the tank? Or is it just a port to install a valve onto? And what do most guys do as far as venting that port? The feed and return are capped off as I installed a oe sending unit into the cell.

#2 ·
one of the 3 ports should already have a rollover valve installed inside the cell. Can you see through the port? A simple check is to try to sticka screwdriver through the port for the rollover valve. You shouldn't be able to...

#4 ·
Yep, the rollover is a bulkhead fitting, so it should be in there.

From what I've seen the rollover valves don't always work that great on a side flop, so you may want to run the vent lines similar to U4 cars if you don't want to spill gas on a flop.

6.2.14.3.6 Fuel vent lines must have a rollover check valve incorporated at the fuel cell, and must vent outside of occupants’ compartment, and be directed away from the engine and exhaust system.

6.2.14.3.7 Fuel vent line must use one of the following routings:

6.2.14.3.7.1 Fuel vent line must extend to the highest point of the roll cage nearest the fuel cell, across the width of the vehicle, and down to below the belly pan of the vehicle or 3” below the fuel cell, whichever is lower.

6.2.14.3.7.2 Fuel vent line must loop above the fuel cell to a point that is 4” above the top of the fuel cell. From there it shall be wrapped one full loop around the outside of the fuel cell near the top of the fuel cell and then be routed down to a point 3” below the lowest point of the fuel cell.
We flopped the Wag during a race and had never done either of the vent routing setups explained and we had fuel draining out of the cell until we cut a zip tie and moved it to the high side. (even though we had a roll over valve) Beyond the safety concern, it took us about 20 minutes until we had help to right the vehicle, and we didn't want to lose that much fuel since we are cheap asses.

The "3 and down" type routing do help gas spills since the vent will be higher than the tank in any orientation.

I copied the rule about having the vent away from exhaust because I figured that although it's common sense that you don't want gas vapors near hot exhaust, it was worth repeating.

#5 ·
Yep, the rollover is a bulkhead fitting, so it should be in there.

From what I've seen the rollover valves don't always work that great on a side flop, so you may want to run the vent lines similar to U4 cars if you don't want to spill gas on a flop.

We flopped the Wag during a race and had never done either of the vent routing setups explained and we had fuel draining out of the cell until we cut a zip tie and moved it to the high side. (even though we had a roll over valve) Beyond the safety concern, it took us about 20 minutes until we had help to right the vehicle, and we didn't want to lose that much fuel since we are cheap asses.

The "3 and down" type routing do help gas spills since the vent will be higher than the tank in any orientation.

I copied the rule about having the vent away from exhaust because I figured that although it's common sense that you don't want gas vapors near hot exhaust, it was worth repeating.
butterfly valve on the vent works too... once you are out to turn the valve...

#10 ·
I never had that fear until it happened. Now I do for sure. Not an area to skimp.

#11 ·
First ranger truggy caught then air intake pipe in fire when it dislodged and fell on the manifold.

Last year I blew a p/s hose and caught the EB on fire.

Had fire extinguishers handy both times and put out both with no real damage. But gas is a different kind of fire lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.