Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Alaska (motorcycle) trip you can get in on - Details Up

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  kkodet 
#1 · (Edited)
I was contacted by a guy through ADV riders who wants to put together a shipment to Alaska in August.

Just a quick intro for those who haven't seen my other threads. I am Keith Kodet, owner/founder of Route 55 Transport out of Michigan. I ship cars and bikes around the country in my 42 foot enclosed trailer. I am a fully licensed and insured transport company. Lately I have been shipping a lot of bikes lately.

Here is what is in the works, please let me know if you may be interested, or even have ideas for how this would work better, as this would be a new type of shipment for me. This is my idea so far:

I would travel the U.S. and Canada picking up your bikes from you in late July. All bikes would be in Anchorage, Alaska by Aug 1st. I am working with a personal friend who lives in Anchorage. He and/or I would be available to pick you up and drop you off at the airport in Anchorage any time in the month of August. His house in Anchorage would be the muster point. The bikes would need to be back from your Alaska adventures by a date yet to be set, but most likely near or after Aug 31st. At that time the bikes would be loaded up and delivered back to their homes across the U.S. and Canada. At all times when you are not with your bike, it would be under lock and key in either my enclosed trailer with me or at the guys house in Anchorage (a nice suburban area).

I can also offer storage at my Michigan trucking terminal in Marine City (1/2 mile from U.S./Canada border crossing) for those who may wish to drop off their bike to me for the shipment (for a reduced rate)

I would most likely come up with a flat rate pricing, either round trip, or one way for those who wish. The flat rate pricing would be posted, and regionally based. Usually pricing is shipment specific, but I think this would be easier. The cheapest rate would be for those who drop off and pick up their bike at my Michigan trucking terminal.

We would have a small fee for pickup and drop-off from the airport in Anchorage and bike storage there. That would go to the guy in Alaska but could be paid through my business if you wish.

The goal would be to get 10-15 bikes in on this, as it could be affordable for everyone. I would either do this in two loads (possibly leaving as early as the begining of July), or I would stay in Alaska and get some riding in myself during the month of August. I would also be willing to hook up with other riders who may want to do some trips but would like to ride with someone.

This is in the feeler/possible planning stages as of now, so please post up here your ideas and if you are interested. I think this could be a great way for many to get an affordable summer adventure in this year!

Keith Kodet

Route 55 Transport L.L.C.

810-614-8038

See less See more
#5 ·
For anyone that may be interested.

Deanne at St. Clair travel found a promotional rate through U.S. Air for the month of August. My round trip (I have to come back in the middle of the month for a few days) was $630 to Detroit. One way from Anchorage to Detroit for my wife and kids was $320 each. You can get ahold of Deanne at 810-329-7165. She has always beat the best online rates I can find.

#6 ·
Alaskan Motorcycle Adventure Made Easy

For those of you who have dreamed of an opportunity to ride your motorcycle in Alaska, the time has finally come!
Route 55 Transport LLC is organizing an Alaskan adventure trip for the month of August 2012, offering door to door nationwide transport of your motorcycle, as well as support and transport in Alaska to make your trip even easier. Here are the details:

• During Mid-July 2012 Route 55 Transport will be travelling the United States picking up motorcycles from your homes or agreed upon meeting locations. Since Route 55 Transport’s home base is Marine City, Michigan, motorcycles located in the eastern half of the United States will be picked up earlier in July. Exact pickup dates will be determined by the location of the individuals who sign up for this adventure, and exact dates will be arranged with each individual no sooner than the end of June.

• Motorcycles will be transported in an enclosed, locked, carpeted trailer equipped with E-track and do not need to be crated. Route 55 will supply a variety of bike chocks and tie downs, however if your motorcycle takes a special way of securing, you will be responsible for supplying those items, which will be returned to you at the end of the trip. Motorcycles can have bags, panniers, and camping equipment attached for no additional charge. There will be an extra charge for Trikes, sidecars, and choppers/extended fork motorcycles.

• Transportation to and from Anchorage is up to you to arrange. Route 55 Transport has worked many times in the past with St. Clair Travel, and they have been able to beat many online airline prices. You can reach them at 810-329-7165.

• Route 55 Transport will be in Anchorage by Monday July 30th and ready for you to pick up your motorcycles. From there the adventure is up to you, as is lodging. Route 55 will depart Anchorage August 31st and return the motorcycles to their owners across the United States in early September.

Anchorage Transportation and Storage

During your stay in Alaska Route 55 has teamed up with a local motorcycle enthusiast and great longtime personal friend that is located in a nice suburban area of Anchorage. This will be the muster point for pick up and drop off of the motorcycles. This enthusiast is also offering transport to and from Anchorage airport, as well as storage of motorcycles for those who do not wish to spend the entire month of August in Alaska. His rate for transportation to and from the airport is $30 per person per trip. His rate for inside, secure, motorcycle storage is $5 per day. You can pay him directly, or you can request to be billed through Route 55 Transport. Transportation to and from the airport and times for picking up/dropping off motorcycles are limited August 15th-23rd, outside arrangements may be necessary during those times, so please do not plan to fly in or out during that timeframe.

While in Alaska Route 55 Transport will offer limited towing services should you have a problem with your motorcycle that cannot be fixed on-site. Some dates, times, and areas may not be available, however Route 55 Transport and our Anchorage friend will help to make your trip as easy as possible. The rate for pick-up of broken down motorcycles and transport to the Anchorage muster point or an Anchorage repair facility is $1.00 per loaded mile.

Pricing:

The rate for round trip transport per motorcycle from Route 55 Transport’s Marine City, Michigan Shipping Terminal to and from Anchorage, AK is $900

The rate for round trip transport from the states of WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, NV, UT, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, KY, and OH is $1,300 per motorcycle.

The rate for round trip transport from the states of CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, TN, AL, GA, SC, NC, FL, VA, WV, and Washington D.C. is $1,500 per motorcycle.

The rate for round trip transport from the states of PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY*, ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT is $1,750 per motorcycle.

Canadian customers please contact for pricing

All pricing is at a greatly discounted round trip price. One way transport can be arranged for 25% less the round trip price. Pick up and drop off from different states will be charged at the rate for the state furthest away.

*A $150 (each way) per motorcycle fee applies to motorcycles requiring pickup or drop-off in the city of New York due to extravagant bridge and toll fees.

• The above rates are for standard type motorcycles only. Trikes, sidecars, choppers, and extended fork motorcycles please contact Route 55 Transport for pricing.

• Route 55 Transport may offer group pricing, when motorcycles are picked up and dropped off from the same location. Contact Route 55 Transport for more information.

A $500 non-refundable deposit is required to book a space for this trip. The remaining balance is due upon initial motorcycle pick-up. Route 55 Transport will update trip information and available spots left at Alaska made easier - ADVrider or you can call, text, or email.

Route 55 Transport is a fully licensed and insured transport company and is excited to be offering this unique adventure opportunity. Alaska can be a once in a lifetime trip, and what better way to see it then on your own motorcycle!

Please call, email, or text for additional information or to book your space on this great adventure. Spaces are limited, so book early!

Route 55 Transport LLC

Keith Kodet 810-614-8038
route55transport@gmail.com

#7 ·
Cool and all, but why wouldn't you just RIDE your bike there?

I'd love to ride Alaska, and when I do, I'll ride my GS there. That's kind of the point isn't it? I didn't think adventure riders were the type to trailer their bike someplace just to be seen on it while there.

#8 ·
Well, the ride there can take up to two weeks, so figuring round trip, there is not alot of folks that can take a month and a half off work. This trip is already half full, so there is definately interest. For many that can only get 1-3 weeks off work, they would rather spend it all in Alaska.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.