Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Looking for a job....

4K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  BOGDOG 
#1 ·
So I've been looking for a new job for three months and its seems like it hopeless to find. I guess it's easier to get in places when you know someone. I've been working 2 jobs since April 15 hours a day 5 days a week and its literally messing with my mental health ha. By chance does anyone know of any places hiring at 16+ a hour? If so I'd appreciate the help. The Internet only helps so much with job searching. Thank you.

#4 ·
im looking to... more than 16 an hour would suit me for now.

if you find something let me know. the problem I am having is I interview somewhere, and then get called in for the second interview and it still takes them 2-3 weeks to make a decision (still waiting to hear something).

PITA...

#6 ·
Me X3. I want a salaried position where I can actually work like 32 hours and still get paid my full salary. I want a plush lifestyle so anything over 200K would be ok. 175K at the very least.

Thnx

#15 ·
using the correct preposition might help your personal jab there, booblinker.

All I did was toss out some job titles that aren't skilled labor and earn a solid paycheck. Don't mistake tech for mechanic. guy is looking for some help and you guys have to be bags of dick, wtf.

#21 ·
Wow ruthless ppl arnt you. I work in a steel shop and a stamping shop I run Blanchard grinders vertical and end mills and giant saws to cut steel and do some precision work. I can use height gauges micrometers depth mics and lots more. I'm looking to get into tool and die but idk anyone who can help me get into it. Also mechanic needs certs which is 2 yrs of school carpenter needs to go to trade school or have some training in that. Also everyone is asking for some sort of piece of paper stating you finished school. I'm 6 credits away from a degree need to pay for it myself because I can't get a grant and student loans keep telling me I need a co signer so I need a job that pays better so I can afford to live while paying all of my bills and pay for school. Also before I posted this the description said you were all friendly they should change that.

#23 ·
We're just trying to help you out.

sounds like you have experience try an aero space shop my uncle works in an aero space shop and they hire at 16 to start and after 90 days its bumped to 18 so try that route if you can.

It doesn't hurt getting your résumé and going to different shops that you think pay what your looking for and dropping your résumé off and talking to some people there

Don't like don't post what more is there to say

#25 ·
Haha I'm not having a attitude my sense of humor is just kinda dry. Well I've applied to tool and die shops there only thing was I need more experience and I know a foreman at one and his advice was to try and find a shop where they would train me more in that field instead of all the things I can already do. I've been going around shops in my area and either they arnt hiring but will take apps or they want someone with 7 to 10yrs experience. I'm a fast learner and am good at what I do this stuff isn't rocket science but no one wants to take a chance on me and that's the frustrating part. If I lived at home with my parents it wouldn't make money a issue but I don't live with them.

#26 ·
Lower you pay expectation a bit and make that clear to the employer that you are willing to come on, on a 90 probationary period to "prove" yourself. If after 90 days they are happy with you and your work, bump the pay up.

Its a give and take.... If you want an employer to take a chance on you and invest the time and capital in training you, then meet them half way and lower your pay expectation a little. Youll learn more in the shop then you will in school.

#28 ·
I'm a tool maker, and I can tell you that the machines that you have listed that you have ran are gravy. you will need to lower your pay expectations quite a bite. The trade isn't what it use to be. being able to run the machines gives you a plus but not much. I can say that in our shop, our Blanchard and vertical mills get used maybe 2 times a month. every thing nowadays is CNC. your best bet is to see if any shops are looking for an apprentice. $16-17 an hour at our shop is a kid that just got his journeyman card and is now a low end tool maker. Starting pay for an apprentice is $9-11 at our place.

#30 ·
Sign up with a temp service, worked for me. I have a great job making over 21.00 an hour with good benefits. Alot of companies are using temp services exclusively these days instead of employing HR people to conduct their hiring. There are plenty of temp to hire positions that would require your skills.

#42 ·
I haven't been past there in a while and it would be a long drive from Roseville but Moeller Aerospace on Beck rd in Wixom usually has help wanted signs out. Last time I talked to someone their he said turnover rate was pretty high due to the number of hours people were working. My company uses a lot of contractors and they don't pay what they used to but it is a way into the industry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.