Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2013/2014 Grand Cherokee

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  GreaseMonkey 
#1 ·
Has anyone drove/ owned one of these with the 8 speed trans? The wife wants to get rid of her ecoboost f 150. She likes these just don't know about the 8 speed trans. Also what kind of mpg does it see on highway? Any other pros and cons?

#2 ·
I drove a v6 with 8 speed its very nice. I would suspect 25+ on highway at 70mph, as the 2012 we drove with v6 and 5 speed got 25 at 70 on the highway. We just bought a brand new 12 GC with the hemi cuz the rebates were really good. We wanted a 14 but it was going to cost $7k more then the 12.

#17 · (Edited)
Who cares what you read online. Why would any auto company source two separate transmissions with the same number of speeds that all go behind the same engines? Make any sense?
Im not an expert in transmissions like yourself so IDK. I read that the 8 speed trans in the V6 was only capable of 300ft lbs of tq holding capability and the V8/diesel needed a more beefed up trans for 400+ ft lbs. I can call one of my buddies in powertrain tomorrow at CTC to see what he knows. I could honestly careless im sure both transmissions are pretty good.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_future.htm

#6 ·
Haven't driven an 8 speed, which is only available on the new 2014 model.

I just bought a 2013 3.6L. I did it intentionally since the 5 speed transmission has been around a lot longer, and also because I don't like the '14 redesign. Some time after they introduced the '11 WK2, they redesigned the Compass to look similar. Now, for '14, the WK2 has been redesigned to look more like the Compass. I remember seeing both models at the Detroit auto show, and doing a double take because what I thought was the WK2 was actually a Compass.

I came from a late model AWD Cadillac to this Jeep. The Cadillac averaged 19mpg with 89 octane. The Jeep averages mid-18 with 87 octane. I commute about 25 miles one-way on 2-lane roads in Oakland County (about 25 traffic lights) with a 5mi run on I-75.

Overall the ride quality / comfort / stereo / etc...everything about this Jeep is so much better than the Cadillac ever was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.