Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project tug cj-10a now going full rock crawler

45K views 249 replies 65 participants last post by  trogdor the burninator 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here is my build - cheepy style

I started with an auto 84 jeep cj-7 (picked up for 600$) punted the rims and tires for 400$.

1984 cj-7 Laredo (ditched the crap rusted out body / kept the frame)

Body & Frame
--Cj-10a tug body tub, doors, top, grill (from craig)
--Cj-7 Frame extended 10" (now closer to an 8's length) 106.5" with J20 front springs in rear.
--building a new frame and going full width

Running gear (runs like poop now) EDIT: runs great with the new 2100 carb on it.--258 with header / webber 2brl new 2100 motorcraft
--999 auto/ D300
--rear soa NT D44 w/ spacers- linc locked (from Craig) - not a 60
--front soa WT D30 - open but may linc lock (new 373's gears to match rear 44)
--5.3 vortec, auto, D300

Suspension
--front 4" cj springs with 2 leaves removed and one stock one added
--rear i will be running front J20 springs flipped.
--currie geazer shackles F&R
--3" dropped pitman
--Highsteer now on the d30
--rancho shocks in rear, rough country in front
--4 link rear with swayaway coilovers (10")
--3 link front with panhard bar with swayaway coilovers (14")

Rubber / Rims
--now 35"x12.50"x15" MT Baja claws
--now 8" rims
--24 bolt 2x beadlock with pvc inserts and rockrings
--37" BFG baja ta's

old pics

See less See more
#237 · (Edited)
Got the rear end put together after i had a slight problem. Due to the D70 having larger studs which obviously makes the hub have a larger opening which is too big for the the studs from a 60 to work.

So I had to open the holes on the rotors (late 70's Chevy 3/4 ton) a tad to fit the bigger shoulder of the new studs so they would fit.

here it is, ready for some mounts, links and I need to also burn the Caliper brackets in as they are just bolted in right now.

started cutting off the mounts on the 60 as well.

#238 ·
where did you find the swayaways? coilovers all around now huh? good to see this build go on. i was looking around one night and i found some pretty sweet tug builds.

where do you guys find them cj10s at?

#247 ·
not really. still stuck on a few of things in the design.

I did pick up an 89' 350 tbi stroked out to a 383 and a TH400. I have to change out the connecting rod bearings. its almost all cleaned up besides the bearings.

I also ordered the d300 4:1 low kit and input shaft for the th400 to d300 from JB conversions.

The 8274 is half apart waiting on the snap ring.

#249 ·
:sonicjay:

you will have to show me how to drive it.

I am thinking when its done that it will primarily be used for pulling out unwanted shrubs in my yard and 2nd taking up room in my garage. i dont partake in any offroading, common you know that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.