Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Murphy, the B2 build

88K views 678 replies 63 participants last post by  Kyle M. 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my next build, 86 B2. It's rough, but I'm gonna save it for my wife and kids to ride in.

Plans are to remove old lift and axles, remove body lift, install full width 44 and 8.8, 4.88 gears and lockers, simple leafs and coils with extended and heimed radius arms. Gonna stretch it to about 100" wheel base. Wanting to run a 37" or so tire. And going to build custom bumpers, sliders and maybe a simple interior cage.

Progress should start this weekend.

See less See more
#141 ·
Lower links mocked up, crossmember in place, not finished yet. Still have some gussets, trimming and welding to do

Upper link made, 1.75, 1/4 wall dom, bushings on one side, 7/8 Heim on the other. Trackbar is the same.

Springs showed up, 5.5 super flex eb coils

Made all my upper link mounts and frame side trackbar mount. Not sure what I'm doing on the axle side. I need to make coil buckets too for the frame.

Hope to make some progress tomorrow.

#150 ·
Kyle I just looked for those buckets and I'm thinking that they must of went with the last load of scrap. So you will have to grab the ones John or Will have.

#152 ·
Made lots of progress today.

Got all the front suspension mocked up. 36" long links, all of them, 8.5" separation at the axle, 4" at the frame. That is about all I could fit, hope it works good with the 100" wheel base. The crossmember is installed, fully welded, just need to take the center out and finish the driveshaft clearance. Also got all the body mounts fixed, front frame horns replaced, still unsure on bumper, just put a tube in there to hold everything.

Pictures

Mostly finished crossmember

Plated frame for trackbar mount

Trackbar mount mocked up

3 link. At about full bump, 3" of uptravel right now, limited to my trackbar clearance. Gonna tweek that more to get about 4" of uptravel

The front frame fixed

Tomorrow hope to work on the rear axle. Gonna shave it and finish weld everything.

#157 ·
Thanks guys....keeping me motivated

14 bolt shaved

Everything welded up, u bolts trimmed to length, waiting for paint to dry. Also I welded the spiders in the rear. Hope to get it back together and installed this week.

Next in the list is coil buckets, boxing link mounts, then assembly. If things go good, maybe I'll start on drive shafts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.