Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1999 D30 issues

Tags
d30 ujoints
922 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RioGrande 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 1999 XJ. The front ujoint on the axle are pretty bad. What should I consider replacing while I have it apart.? e.g. seals, bearings....

#7 ·
I think he was referring to the unit bearings. with 144k (and assuming stock tires) the bearings should still be good. Unless the jeep was abused, there is no reason to change them. That front end is so easy to work on, I would just change the joints and be done. The only other thing that needs to come apart are the brakes. So if you want to do a brake job, pads/rotors, than there is no reason to do anything else. You can leave the wheel bearing attached when you change joints. Do yourself a favor and sand the inside of the wheel bearing surface on the hub and use lots of anti-seze when putting it back together. That way if anything else needs to be fixed later, you can pull it apart easier.

Just give it a visual while you are in there. Ball joints, rod ends, and wheel bearing. At 144k miles daily drive, those should be ok. I wouldn't change it all just because the wheel joints are bad. Chances are you will have to do the wheel joints again before anything else is needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.