Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Weee yay!!! Commuter car time

9K views 75 replies 33 participants last post by  Mr.Green 
#1 ·
With tax monies comming back, the plan is to buy a vroom vroom car thingy to drive to work. I want to keep it under 5k and have a manual trans, so here are some of the choices Im thinking of: A Subaru (I'm thinking an Outback wagon), a VW diesel or gasser (diesel would be fun), a Ford Fuckus would also be fun.

What are the pro's/con's to my thought's, who's driving what? What other options should I consider?

I understand that with european vroom vroom's parts can get expensive but for the standard 2 years I like to drive something I'm ok with that.

#7 ·
03 Jetta TDI 307,xxx miles. chipped, bigger injectors, exhaust and intake.
45 mpg driving spiritedly 48 ish driving for economy. real fun to drive!

#10 ·
Older subarus with the 2.5l (most if not all outbacks) were notorious for head gasket failures, which is a rather expensive job in an H4 engine. If you can find a Subaru with a 2.2l engine, those were really solid. I'd stay away from focus' too, I've had two, an '01 with 112k and an '07 with 76k, both were extremely cheap feeling and I had suspension issues with both. However, the '07 would pull 43.5 MPG going back and forth to lansing with the cruise at 68. So if you don't mind low quality and noisy rides, the 05+ engine is very good on gas. The '01 only got 35 or so on the expressway.

#11 · (Edited)
01 audi allroad, awd, 2.7 twin turbo.love it! they can be found for 5grand or less. i have 217,000 on it now.just put a fuel pump in it.breaks and cv shaft.i will always have one of these now for a work car.
been thinking about selling it and getting a tt coupe. this is a tt coupe.turbo 1.8, awd, stick..easily found for 5grand.think thats my next car.

Attachments

#12 ·
I've got a 2001 Focus ZX3 with a 5 speed. Got it for a good price, it's been a good car, paid for itself on fuel savings within 9 months, and is still kicking. Currently at 168k miles and still doing well. It's overdue for some routine maintenance and replaced wear items, but overall it's a good car. I'd be bored as hell if it were an auto, but with the 5 speed I can at least pretend it's fun to drive. I'd rather have another Subaru, but those cost another $2-3k for a comparable car.

As for 2.5L Subaru's having "expensive" head gasket issues, not so much. They tend to go out around 200k. Spend $500 in parts and take a weekend to replace the clutch, head gaskets, and timing belt and you'll have a car that'll run well for a long ass time.

#26 ·
True. I just figure the AWD is what makes an Audi fun.

I used to have an AWD A6 wagon and that car was great... right up until the cooling system died. The AWD combined with great weight distribution made for some fun drives through the swtich-backs in western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

#35 ·
It can still be done having both AND saving money. I drive 80 miles roundtrip everyday for work, probably average closer to 100 total. I still need a truck for hauling stuff and all the other crap you guys are probably all aware of yourselves. I bought a $3000 Focus in the beginning of May and it paid for itself by the end of the year even with the added insurance. MUCH cheaper gas, cheaper maintenance, etc. An expensive car and an expensive truck doesn't make fiscal sense(been there, done that), but an inexpensive reliable car can save you lots of money. Plus in my case since I'm no longer driving the truck nearly as much, I was able to step down to a much cheaper truck that'll still do what I need it to. Still would've been ahead of the game even with the expensive truck. but this way I'm that much further ahead.

#37 ·
This is pretty much what I am suggesting to ShooterUnbuilt. If he REALLY wants to save money then buy a $5000 car, sell his truck (which I dont think he needs??) or if he is convinved that he needs a truck, maybe he doesnt need a 4x4 extended cab super duty. I dont know the details of his truck, but it is big and nice. My guess is he could save $10,000 right off the bat by downgrading his truck or selling it. If you do the math, saving 10 mpg on gas takes a long time to make up for $5000 + monthly insurance, maintainance, etc on an additional car.

#39 ·
No they don't. My dad has a 2012 Focus 5 door hatchback with an auto and he regularly gets 35+mpg in mixed driving and has seen 42mpg in long stretches of highway driving. Nice cars and they do very well on fuel. My 01 with a 5 speed averages about 30mpg mixed driving, but the older ones aren't as efficient and I drive pretty aggressively.

This is pretty much what I am suggesting to ShooterUnbuilt. If he REALLY wants to save money then buy a $5000 car, sell his truck (which I dont think he needs??) or if he is convinved that he needs a truck, maybe he doesnt need a 4x4 extended cab super duty. I dont know the details of his truck, but it is big and nice. My guess is he could save $10,000 right off the bat by downgrading his truck or selling it. If you do the math, saving 10 mpg on gas takes a long time to make up for $5000 + monthly insurance, maintainance, etc on an additional car.
Agreed.

#45 ·
You are pretty wrong.

EPA testing has changed and includes highway driving that mimics everyday driving of speeds up to 80 mph and fluctuation of speeds as you would see in heavy commuting traffic.

THe actual EPA mpg of the focus is 36-37 for manual and I think 37-38 for Auto and only 40 mpg for the super duper fancy aerodynamic extra mileage focus.....basically the marketing is as close to false advertisement (in my mind) as you can legally get.

#48 ·
#46 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.