Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

KX 125 using trans fluid.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  smasheromalley 
#1 ·
my 93 kx 125 has been losing a little bit of trans fluid. it doesnt seem to be dripping any either

and i read that this guy used regular ATF in his trans, if i decided to use the reg. stuff instead of the bel ray stuff is it gonna cook the clutch or damage the trans?

#7 ·
dont do it!! just use the stuff that is recomended ..... X2 except add a bit of break fluid as mentioned. It should seal the leak if it's not real bad. At least till the rebuild anyway....

i would guess that you have a case seal leaking anf it is just burning it in the motor...i have seen this happen and you wouldnt know it if you didnt see the level going down......
X2

#3 ·
yeah i think it may be a crank seal it uses so little i think im gonna give it a leakdown test eventually

and over on thumpertalk they said that alot of guys use the reg stuff in the kawie 2 strokes. im not quite out of my bel ray stuff but at 10 bucks a quart i might try it lol

#5 ·
Dude.

Use type F trans fluid. I have run it for years and have had no troubles. Throw a few oz. of brake fluid in with your next change (yes, brake fluid). The brake fluid may swell the seals for awhile until you can swap them out (kawis need the case split to change them out - I have the tools you need to do it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.