Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

So is this a scam?

3K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  BlooMule 
#1 ·
I have a truck for sale on cl and got this for a email..

Thanks for your swift response, I'm seriously interested in buying this for my Father as gift, your asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others I've seen lately, I'll take it. I would have loved to come check it out my self but am currently in camp as military seer instructor for new recruits. I however squeezed out time to check this posting as all personal dealings are highly restricted here, i really want this as a surprise gift for my Father so i won't let him know anything about this until it get delivered to him and due to the fact that phone calls making are restricted......i will be paying you with my PayPal account because it's attached to my bank account and its safe and very secure way to make payment. If my mode of payment is accepted just send me your paypal email address,(Paypal ID) so i can pay in right away. I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made, so no shipping included. I'll need your name, the pickup address or location and please include your PayPal email address for the payment and send me some recent pictures if available And if you dont have a paypal account, you can easily go to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. I await your reply asap

Thanks
USAF

NOTE: PLEASE know that I GLADLY accept and read what you forward to me. BUT, I do NOT forward CHAIN LETTER-type mail, BLESSINGS, PRAYERS, wishes for good LUCK, bad LUCK, any other kind of LUCK or items that must be forwarded to a number of people so that I get my surprise (or some other nonsense)! These kinds of forwards will not be sent on if you send them to me. Thanks!

Sound like scam to me^ but threw paypal?

See less See more
#12 ·
The next one you get from him when you say ok will be him saying he will pay you 2000$ more and then ask you to send that money to the company that will ship the truck. And you will be money wiring him the 2k he puts it in his pocket and your out the 2k plus what ever you spent of the money that will"disappear" from your PayPal.. Pay pal is only as safe as a check from another bank.

#14 ·
i think those scammers need to actually read the ad they send the email to because alot of times it doesnt even make sense
like who buys an axle as a gift for their father?
for me its the "your item" thats always a dead give away if you cant state what it is then you are not getting a reply

#22 ·
CL is fine for posting ads, just use the anonymyzer e-mail in the ad. and use a secondary/throw away e-mail address. 3 of the last 4 cars I sold was via CL - the autotrader ads were a waste of money.

however, when I'm greeted with such an obvious fake e-mail inquiry, I don't even reply - it gets instantly added to the spam-filter.

#24 ·
all the scams want is your valid email address, if you reply to the scam they have your email, if you give him your paypal email they get it again. I use a designated email just for selling on CL, if i do reply to a scam at least the spam goes to an account i never check...

#26 ·
Had almost the same email a couple years ago while trying to sell a 50cc motorcyle on CL. Just cause I wanted to mess with him I told the guy the bike was his and asked him to send me the money before he "sent his truck to pick it up". He sent me $2000 in fake post office money orders for an $800 bike and asked me to cash the checks and send him back the extra. :sonicjay: Who out there is stupid enough to fall for this crap. :confused: They must get people to do it or they would not keep trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.