Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

U-bolts

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Strangler 
#1 ·
I need to replace mine as I re-used the dana 30 and dana 35 ones and just re-bent them in a jig I made to fit the 9" and dana 44...... That was 6 years ago

I went to a spring place here in Livonia and the guy said I should upgrade from 1/2" to 9/16" or 5/8" .. is this common? Its only $1 more per one.

#4 ·
Well sadly all they had was 1/2" stock :( So 1/2" is what I went with. I figure if they lasted this long without any issues I should be ok.

And 6 years ago on the stock u-bolts that I heated up, and re bent to fit the bigger axle tubes. I could not torque them down all the way because before hitting the mark, I could feel the threads stretching.

#6 ·
For the record you shouldn't reuse U bolts. They fall under the same thing as head bolts, they get torqued to their yield and shouldn't be retorqued. Not saying you can't, just saying you shouldn't. I've never seen a retorqued one fail, but for my dd I got new bolts.

Besides they don't live a happy life under a MI rig with rust and the general abuse that we put them through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.