Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project tug cj-10a now going full rock crawler

45K views 249 replies 65 participants last post by  trogdor the burninator 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here is my build - cheepy style

I started with an auto 84 jeep cj-7 (picked up for 600$) punted the rims and tires for 400$.

1984 cj-7 Laredo (ditched the crap rusted out body / kept the frame)

Body & Frame
--Cj-10a tug body tub, doors, top, grill (from craig)
--Cj-7 Frame extended 10" (now closer to an 8's length) 106.5" with J20 front springs in rear.
--building a new frame and going full width

Running gear (runs like poop now) EDIT: runs great with the new 2100 carb on it.--258 with header / webber 2brl new 2100 motorcraft
--999 auto/ D300
--rear soa NT D44 w/ spacers- linc locked (from Craig) - not a 60
--front soa WT D30 - open but may linc lock (new 373's gears to match rear 44)
--5.3 vortec, auto, D300

Suspension
--front 4" cj springs with 2 leaves removed and one stock one added
--rear i will be running front J20 springs flipped.
--currie geazer shackles F&R
--3" dropped pitman
--Highsteer now on the d30
--rancho shocks in rear, rough country in front
--4 link rear with swayaway coilovers (10")
--3 link front with panhard bar with swayaway coilovers (14")

Rubber / Rims
--now 35"x12.50"x15" MT Baja claws
--now 8" rims
--24 bolt 2x beadlock with pvc inserts and rockrings
--37" BFG baja ta's

old pics

See less See more
#48 ·
I actually think the rig will look sweet when its done. My opinion though, I think I would leave the cage out of the bed, maybe just a typical pickup style rollbar, or in cab cage to keep it clean looking. I like the stubby full width pickup bed on it. :thumb:

#49 ·
x2, the roll cage in the bed makes it look like a booty ladder rack, but it would be safe, but i think a cage on the inside would be better aesthetically and even safer due to keeping your cranium safe, because that windshield woun't hold up the roof.

but i do love cj10a projects, makes me want one so bad, or make a brute out of my tj

#53 ·
Rob was just over at my place last weekend. He just ordered the pre-cut steel bed pieces last week, and should be starting assembly soon. I'll try to light a fire under his a$$ to get him moving on this. I'm anxious to see it done, as well...it'll be pretty sweet!

Craig

#55 ·
Great thread. Just want to make sure, but you are at 106"? I'm gathering parts for a 10-a now, have a complete tub and frame, pretty much everything except the SD-33, tranny and reduction box. Hoping to get started on it late summer. I'm thinking about 112" WB I think it's the look I want, like your bed. I'm kind of thinking getting some CJ replacement bed corners may be the way to get that all formed up right.

#61 ·
im at 104.5 but i am going to be running J-10 springs in the rear that will probably push it somewhere between 105.5 to 106 or so..

i thought about getting replacement corners but right now i just want it to get done, i may add then at a later date..we'll see.

#58 ·
Thanks Craig, just read it. I like that length, but I think I will go to waggy width. I have Waggy/Scout 44's, but I'm thinking I'll have the 70 narrowed and find a 60 front and narrow it. Yeah, a lot more work, but I want 38s, and not that wide. I think the one on Pirate is a little wider than what I want.

#62 ·
Thanks for the info. The guy that posted on Pirate says that one is about Scrambler length, but looking at the way they formed up the bed, I bet it's 114" os so.

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing you build the bed, too. I wish I could get started, too many things to finish first... Next winter!

#65 ·
Agreed, those proportions just look killer... can't wait for the bed to get on there! :woot:

#66 · (Edited)
Thanks Craig :thumb:

me either!!!

im really close to the fenders on the front...so i am now looking to put on 2" lift springs...
should be done driving it in a month or so....

just picked up all my new brake parts..
rotors/drums/shoes/spring kits and u-joints for the axle shafts =
287$ : (

#68 · (Edited)
tugly bed

Well i recieved the custom bed pannels in the other day and welded some 1/2" square tub around the tailgate opening to support it...it turned out well.

i know the tail gate is higher than the sides but that is because i will be welding some cj-7 tub pieces to match...

:woot:

#70 ·
i was really digging the cardboard mock up bed, it looked cool and was well layed out, if the custom sheetmetal doesnt work out you could always slather the cardboard in fiberglass resin and run it!! j/k awesome build, very unique

#71 · (Edited)
i have welded up the bed and set it up on the jeep so i could mock up where the mounting points will be.

other things i did recently.--moved front axle back 1.5" (so the tires are more centered in the wheel well
--lifted the front with different spring packs.
--changed out front axle joints.
--all new brake parts all around

things that need to be done.--switch out gear box brakets with new HD braket :rock:
--weld mounting points on frame for body
--move rear shackle mounts back an 1" or so
--finish welding rear body tub/paint it/mount tj flares/ then run it.

#73 ·
I saw the front bumper got a work out at the blessing...

#75 · (Edited)
:sonicjay: :stan: i think the guy deserved it, karmas a bitch. I appologized like a million times and offered him money etc...i even went back and saw him like 3 hours later thinking he would have cooled off but his cop stash and glasses were still in full effect and when i said "look i feel terrible, is there anything i can do?" he said "whatever, get outta here!" so i replyed "ok then fuk ya"

sweet project. keep up the good work.
thanks, im having problems with the motor, cylinders 1 and 2 filling up with gas and dumping into the oil pan.. the weber aftermarket carb is not hooked up right or something..so if someone is motor and carb savy they should come over and help me drink some beer and play with my junk :naughty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.