Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Trailer winches ??

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mclovin 
#1 ·
What do you recomend.. I was reading over on pirate about them and wanted some opiniona from you.. i saw a 2k unit at Harbor Freight last night for 60 bux and thought about it.. I figure use a block and double line pull it would work...
Any thoughts on this unit. or any recomendations on others without breaking the bank..

#2 ·
I'd imagine it would work..

I still am using my old ratchet style hand winch, which has been enough power for anything i put onto the trailer so far.

Just watch to not overheat/burn out the motor, that would be my guess to the weak link.

#3 ·
I would go at least 4K... just wait until you bend a tie rod so you are toe-in or have ac aliper seize or have flat tires and have to pull the rig up the ramps with the wheels locked....

A 2K would be fine if the rig had 30psi in the tires and rolled freely, but then you wouldn't need the winch....

EDIT- a problem with the 2K winch is that the spool is only long enough for 50' of wire that is only rated at 2K lbs. Put a snatch block on it and your wire is only good for 4K (kind of) and is only 25' long

#4 ·
Bones said:
I would go at least 4K... just wait until you bend a tie rod so you are toe-in or have ac aliper seize or have flat tires and have to pull the rig up the ramps with the wheels locked....

A 2K would be fine if the rig had 30psi in the tires and rolled freely, but then you wouldn't need the winch....

EDIT- a problem with the 2K winch is that the spool is only long enough for 50' of wire that is only rated at 2K lbs. Put a snatch block on it and your wire is only good for 4K (kind of) and is only 25' long
trailer is only 18ft and the price is right so i think i may go with that unit.... once i get some dough ill upgrade...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.