Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My poor dog! new video without cast

4K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  catman 
#1 · (Edited)
If she didn't have bad luck she wouldn't have any!
Jan. 2010 looses right eye to Glaucoma.

Aug. 2012 looses left eye to Glaucoma.

Today she broke her foot while we were at work, only thing I can figure is she jumped off a bed and hit a clothes basket and got hung up in it. But really I will never know.

See less See more
#11 ·
we have thought about that and it may be something we do in the future. We hate to take away her freedom of moving through the house, we also hate see her get hurt! She has had run of the house since she was potty trained 8 years ago.

She knows the house very well and gets around like she has sonar or something most times. so it's a tough call.

we and the kids have to be very careful not to leave stuff out where it does not belong, keeping the floors clear for her.

#15 ·
Actually YES WE HAVE!!! :sonicjay::sonicjay:
we talked about making her eye patches and one of the boys said we should put those on them! we laughed our asses off just talking about it!

#21 ·
she gets lots of love! she is the first dog I have ever had so she has a special place in my heart, my wife and her kids love her very much also. I got her from a shelter when she was around 6 mo. and she in 9 yrs now.

i was hoping she was born with three eyes before i looked at the pics. thats crazy, i have never seen a blind dog before
blind dogs actually can do very well on their own, even better with help from their humans. she does really awesome, better than I was ever expecting when we realized she would be blind some day. when she lost her first eye the eye doctor told us we would have between 3-31 months before the other eye would go, she made it 33 months.

I hope puppy has a good quality of life even if she is blind. Animals take this kind of thing far better than humans.
She still has a great quality of life! She loves walks, plays with her toys still and loves just laying in the grass in the sunshine! and she still loves the water!

I was a real wreck when I thought about how she would be when she finally went blind. She was very skittish and fearful of new people when she could see, I thought she might end up in a corner just trembling and cowering if she could not see. It had to be about her Q.O.L. not what I wanted, so I decided she would have to be put down if it came to that because that is no Q.O.L. for any animal.

Luckily she came through it with a never quit attitude and she is actually less fearful not being able to see than she was when she could:thumb:

She is less afraid now of things and people that creeped her out before.
I could not have asked for a better outcome other than her not loosing the eyes in the first place.

and yes she took it all a lot better than I did:(

#26 ·
yup...i would say it breaks my heart to see (really, it does)but already know that dawg is king...
her leg will heal. not sure how the leg got broke but perhaps instead of a crate put ur pup in her favorite room (no tall furniture)and put a baby gate at the door...she'll be happy to be able to stretch out a bit while ur at work...

#27 · (Edited)
#28 ·
Just wanted to thank you for taking such great care of her. I hate to read all the bad things about people that somehow can't take care of their dogs because of the stupidest shit and end up putting them down or giving them up. The smallest things with our kids freaks me out and I would do anything for them. I'm glad to read that others are like that too. Thanks again and hope she heals up her broken leg soon. :) Hugs for the puppy.

#36 ·
updates on Sasha.
We went to the vet Saturday, Monday and Thursday in the last 7 days resulting in a new bandage per visit. She DOES NOT want that thing on her leg anymore! The cone they had given her was too short so now we have a new longer one, and it is going on be on her when ever we are not able to physically be with her. Also got some lickguard to hopefully help keep her away from it.

The Dr. says her bone is healing nicely albeit slow. It has mended enough that Monday they decided to remove the splint and just put on a soft bandage for support so she can start walking on it. They want her lightly using it to help promote growth in the bone. She had the toes open on Mondays bandage so she could actually walk on it properly but she would still favor it as it had been in a splint for 6 weeks and a few days, so it's gonna be sore for a bit. Yesterdays bandage was done by a different vets office and tech so they wrapped the toes and she can't walk on it properly again, so she is keeping it off the ground. which is fine by me, as I want that bone healed! We are keeping her inactive and keeping a close eye on her when we are home. She is tired of that thing on her leg, as are we but we gotta stick it out for a bit longer. More x-rays on 5-13 so hopefully the bandage can come off and just keep her moving slow for a bit after that, and we will be all set. I will get some pictures of her in the cone of shame tonight for some public humiliation therapy.

#44 ·
Kudos to you for keeping her around. Obviously as most dog owners know, they really do become part of the family. I think a lot of people in your position would have pawned her off or worse yet:(

Can she still fetch? My parents had a spaniel that would walk into walls, but if you threw the ball he brought you, it would be back at your feet within 30 seconds. Funny part was that half the time he'd just tromp right through my mothers flower bed in the process. Eventually he lost his hearing as well and relied solely upon his nose to get around the house/yard. It's amazing how they adapt and overcome...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.