Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anybody have a 2011 f150 with the ecoboost engine?

26K views 240 replies 74 participants last post by  kmanxj5011 
#1 ·
365 hp (272 kW) @5500 rpm, 420 lb·ft (569 N·m) @2500 rpm, 90% torque @1700-5000 rpm

I'm more concerned about reliability in the long run. It seems like a twin turbo six cylinder sounds expensive to work on once you have some miles on them. Does anybody have some miles on this engine yet?

I'm thinking that engine is the way to go for pretty good gas mileage, and the availability to tow when needed.

#190 ·
still love mine have 38000 on it now... is he calculating his mileage by hand of trusting the computer one?

i drive 60 miles round trip to work daily and i am averaging 16-17 mpg all two lane stop and go driving.

2011 super crew fx4 with 373 gears.... i know my brothers 2012 super crew with 3.42 gears does 1-2 mpg better than me... only thing we can think is the gear ratio difference... that and he has 17" wheels and tires where mine has the factory 20" wheels and tires.....

#193 · (Edited)
I have a heavy right foot, heavy tires (305/50/20 terra grapplers) and I'm averaging 14.1 according to the dash computer with mostly city driving...4x4 crew cab with factory 4.10 gears. Highway driving, (75-80 average) I usually end up seeing around 16.8 mpg's...never cared enough to hand calculate the mileage. If I keep the speeds in the high 60's, mileage jumps up in to the 18's, the gears and tires aren't helping...but it's still better an my 2010 5.4 ever got, and it has a ton more power.

#199 ·
I'm guessing you aren't good at math, since you claim to be getting 3-4 mpg over what they are rated for, and you have over sized tires. I have noticed most Chevy people claim their vehicles get 3-10 mpg over what they are rated for, so either they are full of shit, or don't know how to do math.

#210 ·
few guys at work are claiming mid to high teens if they behave. they also say they were <10 while enjoying the power for the first month or so of ownership. another friend of mine has averaged in the low teens with his cc\6.5ft bed 4x4 with max tow package while daily driving and pulling his GN horse trailer to the harness races every weekend.

#213 ·
yep corvette has all the positives in the right direction

cylinder deactivation, lightweight, low to the ground, low roof, and I think the new one got lighter

the big 20" wheels on all the trucks seems like a step in the wrong direction, but I don't buy a truck for fuel mileage either

#218 ·
I sorta figured a 20" wheel with a similar height tire would weigh about the same as a 16, 17, 18" wheel with a similar height tire.....

I can't imagine the mileage is significantly different....oh well boredom is clearly starting to set in at work if we're discussing this topic lol

#226 ·
In my opinion it's that way because of Ford's marketing, they brag up the mileage in all their commercials right now, I guess all the manufactures are doing this since gas prices are high, but i feel like ford is really focusing on using that for their marketing campaign, maybe the ecoboosters are trying to justify something?

#227 ·
Got just shy of 15 in my 02 with the 5.3 and with 285/75/16 (close to 33s) so with this based off my odometer, it was actually higher than that. If you have a 6.0 thats about right, i gave up checking my 6.0s mileage, got below 10 too often. I just fill the 35gallon tank and try not to think about it.

#234 ·
What are you doing with your silverado? My 05 5.3 with 33's gets 17 from cedar rapids ia to Kzoo. I get closer to 19 when I go north and slow down for the UP.

#228 ·
I have a 12' F-150 xlt quad cab 4x4 with an ecoboost. i still love it, since the tuner and with the colder weather (letting it sit idle) fuel economy has dipped quite a bit, normal driving around town and to and from work on 96 ive been averaging 15.4 according to the dummy gauge at my best if i was super concious of my bad habits and drove 70 on the e-way and pussy footed it from lights i averaged 20.7 to 21mpg. Towing mpg's suck. with my cherokee on my trailer (1850lbs) i get 10 to 13 depending on my foot.

#229 ·
I have a 12' F-150 xlt quad cab 4x4 with an ecoboost. i still love it, since the tuner and with the colder weather (letting it sit idle) fuel economy has dipped quite a bit, normal driving around town and to and from work on 96 ive been averaging 15.4 according to the dummy gauge at my best if i was super concious of my bad habits and drove 70 on the e-way and pussy footed it from lights i averaged 20.7 to 21mpg. Towing mpg's suck. with my cherokee on my trailer (1850lbs) i get 10 to 13 depending on my foot.
that's a lot closer to what I would expect based on the advertised numbers.

#231 ·
I think about everything gets bad mpg towing especially if wind resistance is involved. I also think the diesel guys like to brag up their highway mileage a bit much without telling the whole story. I had a 97 Dodge 3500 dually 4wd diesel auto with 3:55 gears that would get 20 mpg highway empty but as low as 8 mpg towing. I got about 13 mpg local driving. I had a 95 F350 dually 2wd 7.3 Powerstroke auto w/ 4:10 gears that got 12 mpg local/mixed highway, no towing.

#233 ·
I just had a long boring drive back from K-Zoo, so I decided to do a little messing around with different speeds to see how much difference it made with MPG. My truck is a 2011 crew cab ecoboost f150 4x4 with 305/50/20 nitto terra grapplers with 4.10 gears.

For all the different speeds, I set the cruise control, hit the mpg reset and drove for 25 minutes without touching the gas or brake. Luckily, there was little to no traffic on 94, so I was able to keep it consistent.

65 mph- 19.8 mpg
70 mph- 17.6 mpg
75 mph- 15.8 mpg
80 mph- 14.1 mpg

Now this obviously isn't perfect due to hills, wind, turns, etc...but it gives a decent representation since I was heading in the same general direction, and I-94 is fairly flat between K-zoo and Ann Arbor.

For the first 10-15 minutes after I hit the reset button for each speed, the mpg's would jump around a lot depending on the road conditions...but it eventually stabilized. After 25 minutes, I wasn't seeing any more changes...so I would switch up the speed and start over.

I never paid much attention to the MPG, but after seeing how much difference a few mph makes, I may have to slow down a bit...I usually drive 75-80, but with that drastic of a drop in economy, I may have to cutit back to 65-70. It makes sense though, the small displacement turbo engine needs to make quite a bit of boost to keep the speeds that high, especially with my heavy tires with a lot of rolling resistance and aerodynamics of a brick....so it drinks the fuel down fast.

/useless information that kept me amused on my 2.5 hour drive. :thumb:

#235 ·
Not surprised by this at all. On average (for most cars) you lose a certain percentage of your mileage of every mph over "X".

Anyway, my all time best mileage numbers have always been in Ohio where I am afraid to speed from Findley through Columbus, Athens, Logan, to WV. The speed limit on the freeway/rural two laner changes constantly from 55-65 and does meander through a few areas/towns at 45.

I do my best to stick to 70-75 mph, seems to be the best balance between time and mileage. 65 is damn hard to stick to.

#236 ·
Anyone seeing a huge mpg increase after changing the air filter? I have never been real pleased with my mileage so far, but seeing 2-3mpg above "normal" similar conditions after putting in a cheapo Fram filter from Wallyworld.:woot:

Original had 15K on it and wasn't that bad, so I thought:fish:

#237 ·
Hmm...I may have to go pick one of those up. I had my oil changed a little while back, and the tech noticed that a squirrel decided to make a nest inside of my intake canister, and did a nice job chewing up my filter during its construction.

I planned on throwing an AFE intake on the truck, but I may just do a cheap replacement for now.

#241 ·
Bringing up an old thread again. I am looking at buying a new truck in the spring and am bouncing back and forth between a basic crew cab 6.7 powerstroke and a crew cab Ecoboost. between 2011 and 2013's are what fit my price range.

Any new lovers or haters of the EB?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.