Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

The latest project that is taking too long, a Jeep JK looking tube car

100K views 630 replies 119 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 · (Edited)
In the next few weeks I think I'll start updating my latest project that I have been working on for quite a while and have not been making much progress with. :finger:

I scrapped this idea after realizing it only works and looks good on a monster buggy:

I searched ls1tech.com, craigslist, ebay and GM Parts direct until I finally got all of the parts to put the L92 short block together as an LS3 looking engine that should have about the same performance as a factory LS3 until I pick another cam out and then it should be around 500 FWHP with a nice torque curve still.

I made a lot of progress and then I got my new seat and I realized I made it too small.... I took it all apart and started over and now it's a nice size.

That's how it looked last week, I made a lot of progress this weekend and it looks like something again so I'll start a build thread from this point. :thumb:

See less See more
#113 ·
Oh, my $65,000 boat with a blown up $16,500 motor that uses $1200 dollar props and will cost $6500 to rebuild the motor and is full of 70 gallons of $4 per gallon gasoline?

I'm not a hater at all, bryce builds good shit, and this buggy should not disappoint, but I coudln't care less what he paid for any of it :sonicjay:
Thanks for the info, sounds like an expensive boat.:blah:

Keep the prices coming Bryce. It helps put build budgets in perspective and make me feel better about how much I have into my beater :sonicjay:.

#126 ·
I typed this on a (price unknown, it was a gift about 5 years ago) computer, but I have a $1200 laptop (when it was new) for toting to college and back.

Keep posting prices, it'll help followers to price out projects, find deals, etc.:thumb:

:finger:to those who get upset.

Keep it rockin:beerbang:

#117 ·
x2 on the $$$$$$ tho i don't have any of this skill. i still like to know what it would cost.

great work. btw

#124 ·
Thanks, I guess I havent thought about that much... Depending on what level of completeness I figure it would range between $3500 and $4500. Half of that is materials.

I have been swamped with school lately, pretty much 2 weeks of finals and now I have a 15 page report due tomorrow that I'm not looking forward to. Last weekend I didnt have any power and managed to get a couple things done earlier in the week. I came back to work after class yesterday to finish up some design work. I'll have a few more hours into it today but I should have another sizeable amout of stuff to send to Tab for cutting and when that comes back things should go quickly. :thumb:

#125 ·
I somehow just saw this thread? wow.

Go buy a damn camera so we can tell you what you are doing wrong.

#128 ·
I got my Branik high steer arms yesterday and they are amazing! 3/4" thick chromoly, machined out to my design and they are a work of art in themselves. If anyone wants high steer arms go to Branik, seriously, you cant beat the price or quality. They'll even make your custom design for less than others sell their kits for! I'll post up pictures when I get home tonight.

#134 ·
I got my Branik high steer arms yesterday and they are amazing! 3/4" thick chromoly, machined out to my design and they are a work of art in themselves. If anyone wants high steer arms go to Branik, seriously, you cant beat the price or quality. They'll even make your custom design for less than others sell their kits for! I'll post up pictures when I get home tonight.

his answer a few post up. this is a awesome jeep. good job man.

this is a killer build

#135 ·
this is my super bad ass fuel tank that has way too much work and time into it. 4 switching pickups feeding an airtex E8248 fuel pump with a corvette pressure regulator and filter, all in the tank using 3/8" hard line and compression fittings. I need to run 2 wires to a military style cannon connector that will seal to the tank. I will have 2 wires to the tank and one -6 pressure line from the tank to the engine. my goal is to make it so simple looking that it looks unfinished.

originally the tank came with blue -8 connectors and a crappy excuse for a pick up tube. I decided that I wanted black fittings for all of my AN connections since i was already swapping from -8 to -6, it was a little tricky but I got it to work. I searched all over and couldnt find a -6 roll over valve that was black. I bought a -6 bulkhead in black and did some light modifications to make a -6 roll over valve out of it.

the rest are some random pictures of things I have been killing some time on until the next batch of plates come in from Tab at True North Designs.

Attachments

#140 ·
Why all the bling in the gas tank? Good pickup at any angle maybe?
yes, after running out of fuel on the side of the road in west branch with a quarter of a tank I made certain that it will never happen again. I should be good for 90 degrees in any direction with 1/4 of a tank or less.. I need to address the lubrication system next but I think I'll wait until it's moving first. something about a never ending project comes to mind when I keep adding things to the list. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.